Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 06:44 PM

Default Seat selection and variance

I'm a SnG player, and usually I pick up whatever seat is available when I'm starting my games. On the very long term, variance should balance itself out, regardless of the seat I chose.

But what about the short term? By choosing my seats somewhat randomly (we all tend to have a few patterns when it comes to choosing anything) am I increasing the possibility of a bad/good run?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Seat selection and variance

I'm not sure what you mean. Obviously, you'd like to deal the first hand, that slightly reduces your expected total blind contributions. Also, it's nice if the aggressive/loose players are to your right with passive/tight players to your left; but it's hard to control that or even know it before you start. Neither of these are large effects.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:32 PM

OK, maybe an example will help... In any STT there will be seats "luckier" then others. There's always a seat that gets better hands than the rest in a given tournament, because the sample size is so small.

My hypothesis is that by choosing a different seat each time you play you end up increasing the chance of having a good or a bad run.

In a way, you can transfer my question to betting on roulette. Say you have enough money to make 100 bets and you're only betting on individual numbers. I want to know if betting always on the same number will reduce the variance inside that small sample.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a way, you can transfer my question to betting on roulette. Say you have enough money to make 100 bets and you're only betting on individual numbers. I want to know if betting always on the same number will reduce the variance inside that small sample.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the wheel is not biased the answer is no. For that matter the answer to your seating question (since it is not based on player makeup) is no as well.