Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 11:04 PM

Default 50+5 is this a hand to play?

I have just started to play the 55s. I was just wondering what those who play or have played the 55s would do here: would you fold, call, raise (if so how much), or push? Also, please explain your answer. For me this has been an 80% fold and 20 call at the 22 and 33 tables.

Level:3 Blinds(25/50) -

Seat 3 is the button
Total number of players : 9

Seat 1: ( $1815 )
Seat 2: ( $3565 )
Seat 3: ( $185 )
Seat 4: ( $1075 )
Seat 5: ( $1025 )
Seat 6: ( $380 )
Seat 7: ( $200 )
Seat 9: hero ( $880 )
Seat 10: ( $875 )

Dealt to Dhd7mQ [ As Jd ]

seats 6 & 7 fold and the action is to the hero. Fold, call, raise? why?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:22 PM

Default Re: 50+5 is this a hand to play?

This is a definite fold in my opinion, and I think that will be the general consensus... concensus... damnit how do you spell that? Anyways, it should be a fold mainly because of the reverse implied odds of the hand, the uncertainty of being able to see a cheap flop, and your poor position.

Can I ask why you are randomizing your play at the 33's. I feel like you might be doing this because you heard something to the extent of it's a good idea... game theory... etc., but I see 0 reason to do it at the 33's.

EDIT: Damnit, I thought this was level 2. My advice still stands, but it's less of a bad spot then it was before, because stealing the blinds actually means a bit more now. I still fold, but raising becomes less of a bad play and calling become more of a bad play IMO. The randomization question still stands though.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:28 PM

This spot sucks. I generally raise to t150 and go from there, but I can see limping or folding as well.

Meh.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask why you are randomizing your play at the 33's. I feel like you might be doing this because you heard something to the extent of it's a good idea... game theory... etc., but I see 0 reason to do it at the 33's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you never randomize your play at the 33s? sorry, but that is just silly. I won't bother providing clear situations where your play must change based on reads and stack sizes, but you know you randomize your play.

As for this hand, I have played 33 tables where everyone was tight agressive. A limp from mp with A,J often ends up hu with the bb and a pot bet on the flop wins. Additionally, if you get 2 callers but no one raises and you flop top pair you are more than likely good. I will take those chanse. however, I only see those types of tables 20% of the time.

As for your "I feel like you might be doing this because you heard something to the extent of it's a good idea... " I feel like you have no idea how many hands I have played in the last month let alone the last year or the last 5 or 10. I know you are trying to help, but there is no need for assumptions or insults.

Beyond that, after 100 55s in the last 2 weeks I think it is possible that a raise here might take it down and at worst would usually thin the field to one other player. That said you would hate to be re-raised in this spot.

Those are just my thoughs,

Ryan
Old 09-20-2005, 11:51 PM

Cool dude, simple you misunderstood me should have done the trick. Any time I have heard someone assign percentages to how they do things it has usually been because they were randomizing their play. And at the 33's I would not "randomize" my play. Changing your play based on reads is not randomizing it, randomly doing one or the other is. I assumed that is what you were talking about, and I guess you were talking about table textures. My bad.
Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, my bad. Sorry I got testy. I can see how you read it that way now that you point out how I use percentages. Alas, I agree with your definition and with the problems of "randomizing." However, I do still wonder if this type of hand isn't a raise. I have 17xbb, but in less than a few minutes I will have less than 10. Moreover, at the 55s the extra chips in play means that my short stack will be an even smaller % of the big stacks and will make it easier for them to call my pushes. This may well be a good time to increase my stack b4 I get into push/fold mode. The other issue is that t50 is not a ton of chips to fight over, so I have seen plenty of folks fold to the raise here when they might fight harder at the next blind level.

Alas my analysis says raise, but it still doesn't feel right?

These r just my thoughts.

Ryan
Old 09-21-2005, 12:43 AM

S'all good playa.

To be honest, I really don't think it matters what you do here. Folding and raising are probably pretty EV neutral and somewhat table dependent. My initial post was meant for L1 and L2 so it may seem like I'm more for folding, but it really doesn't matter here. Just feel out the specific situation you're in (the whole table texture thing) and do whatever feels right. It's kind of a stylistic thing too. I think good arguments can be made either way.