Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 10:47 PM

Default 22s vs. 33s. vs 55s

I know I have seen numerous posts on this topic , but I have never seem a final answer reached. Here is my situation: I have played 582 11s with an roi of 20.0% and an itm of 38.7%, so after this success I moved up to the 22s. Currently my roi is 30.9% with an itm of 40.5% after 200 games. Now I know I have a small sample size, but I think I am doing pretty well. So my question is should I moved up to the 33s? Or just wait till my bankroll lets me go to the 55s? I have heard the 55s are much harder, and that is where most of the "pros" are. Is this still the case? Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: 22s vs. 33s. vs 55s

I can't fault you for taking a stop at the 33s in the way. 55s take a much larger roll than 22s, and theres no reason you cant take two steps rather than one big jump.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:27 PM

Anyone else?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:44 PM

Play more 22s.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play more 22s.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-21-2005, 02:35 AM

I think that you are right in that the 55s are where a lot of "pros" are. There are a substantial number of good players here that multitable and that are very solid players. Although that is where I have played for the past 6 months or something, they aren't THAT hard- honestly, to a lot of these "pros" they seem very soft. It's your call, but I would just suggest that you move up as your bankroll allows. If you can play the 33s bankroll-wise, then play them. If you lose money at them, then don't move up. If you win money consistently, then give the 55s a try.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that you are right in that the 55s are where a lot of "pros" are. There are a substantial number of good players here that multitable and that are very solid players. Although that is where I have played for the past 6 months or something, they aren't THAT hard- honestly, to a lot of these "pros" they seem very soft. It's your call, but I would just suggest that you move up as your bankroll allows. If you can play the 33s bankroll-wise, then play them. If you lose money at them, then don't move up. If you win money consistently, then give the 55s a try.

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed. a lot of people for some reason have this notion that they can either "move up," "move down," or stay where they are.

what is it that stops you from just playing a dozen or so 33s and seeing how you are doing? you don't even have to be totally optimally bankrolled, just take a shot, and mind the bankroll as you go. if you're feeling good and feeling like you are playing well, and have some money laying around, why not take a shot at the next level up? the worst thing that happens is that you lose every buyin on the table, just don't put more buyins out there than you are fine with losing. i don't care if you'r at the 10s or the 109s, this is a reasonable line of thinking.

having a small sample size is not a reason in and of itself for playing more games at a certain stake. it's a fine reason for not believing you have a certain ROI or ITM, but the lack of such statistics is hardly a reason to not push yourself higher. all that playing another thousand games at a stake does is potentially slow you down by a couple months.

then again, if you get wtf_pwn3d when you take your shots, or when you initially just move up, there's nothing that says you can't move down. don't be proud, just do it. take your lumps, learn, and move on with your poker career. being too proud is a great way to take chunks out of your bankroll you shouldn't.

citanul