Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 08:41 PM

Default $55\'s - flopped straight w/ flush on board...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter

Button (t1285)
Hero (t985)
BB (t1000)
UTG (t985)
UTG+1 (t985)
MP1 (t970)
MP2 (t1855)
MP3 (t990)
CO (t945)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t72.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, BB folds, UTG calls t60, UTG+1 calls t60, MP2 folds.

Turn: (t252.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t250.

River: (t752.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t250.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: $55\'s - flopped straight w/ flush on board...

Anyone else check/call the river here?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else check/call the river here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. Definitely. Think about it. If you're not going to fold to the raise (I'm not saying you should), you'll probably get more out of busted hands and lose the minimum to a flush.

Everything else is fine.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:10 PM

check river
Old 09-20-2005, 09:11 PM

this is the line I would have taken if I had the hand back. I was thinking at the time that I wanted to get the most out of a 2 pair hand or a set that was holding on to see a cheap showdown. As soon as I hit "bet" I wished I would have checked to induce a bluff.

nh guys.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:29 PM

i dont see the point in betting the pot on the turn. either he has the frush and is ahead now, OR he is drawing to one, at which you dont need to be betting the pot to be pricing him out. bet t160 and then check/call the river.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:44 PM

I go one step further and just check the turn, although I'd bet it HU. The 8 is the worst non-spade that could have hit and you're now dead, tied or getting freerolled by anything that calls. About 1 in 5 times that everyone checks, you lose the pot by checking, but when something cool happens (like UTG bets and the other guy raises, or when you're bet into hard and can dump the hand) it basically pays for itself.

Also, I would tend to CR the flop and try to get all in against the naked ace or at least play a nice big pot that I can push him off of on the turn. I slow way down once I get two callers, though.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont see the point in betting the pot on the turn. either he has the frush and is ahead now, OR he is drawing to one, at which you dont need to be betting the pot to be pricing him out. bet t160 and then check/call the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this. I know that it would be a correct line according to ToP, but I want him out of the pot NOW if he's on a draw. If he raises me here I fold and have 750 left. If he calls and the [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] hits, I get out on the river with 750. I think he raises me on the turn if he does not have the Ax [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to get me off my A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] draw. I want to give a draw the worst odds possible (within reason) to draw to his flush or boat.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? This doesn't make sense. You certainly don't want to be pricing him in. You still have what is often the best hand there. Get value out of it.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The 8 is the worst non-spade that could have hit and you're now dead, tied or getting freerolled by anything that calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually really like your posts, but this one seems fairly off base. You can't think of hands that are calling you on the turn that you have beat, usually fairly handidly at that? I can think of a helluva lot. And the 8 really is not that bad of a card. I mean it's not great, but there aren't too many people drawing with a naked 7 here. That's a pretty bad play. Obviously any spade is way worse, but I think the board pairing is too. I see your point, but it's not the worst card. I just really feel like checking here is a big mistake.