Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2005, 07:21 AM

Default Party 55 bubble play - I have garbage but ..

NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee
Level:7 Blinds(150/300)
Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 2: SB ( $4180 )
Seat 3: HERO BB ( $1145 )
Seat 7: UTG ( $3775 )
Seat 8: BUTTON ( $900 )
Level:7
Blinds(150/300)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ 2h Tc ]
UTG folds.
BUTTON is all-In [900]
SB folds.
HERO ???
Old 09-20-2005, 07:26 AM

Default Re: Party 55 bubble play - I have garbage but ..

Pass.

This kind of move would be extremely foolhardy from him without something vaguely decent, as the SB can easily call and remain in very good shape.

If this were SB vs. BB, and he had some kind of history pushing any two, even then I think this is still probably a fold. You're going to be 60/40 or 40/60 the vast majority of the time there, is this really the spot you want to pick?

You're in a pretty horrible position, I'm passing here without some kind of ninja read.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:28 AM

I think you have to be pretty sure he's pushing really close to any 2 here to call.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Good post, interesting stuff. I think it's a close fold for me despite the crappy situation we are in afterwards but I'll run the numbers putting buttons range on top 60, 40 and 20% respectively.

....oh well, it turns out button has to be pushing at least 70% of all hands for this to be a breakeven call. Alas, I don't think many buttons do this.... thus fold...
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Hey thanks bennies,I was hoping someone would run the numbers but I didn't want to ask. I hereby promise to buy SGA sooon so I can do these thing myself.

I actually thought button was raising almost any 2 in which it's reassuring to hear that calling is good. Then again maybe he was much tighter than that, I really don't know.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Results

I was reassured that calling was good assuming he was pushing top 70% because I did call.

Button showed QQ, I ended up with quad deuces (lol) and got the "nice call moron" comment and started thinking moron, hmm, maybe I am.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hereby promise to buy SGA sooon so I can do these thing myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too. this is ridiculous that i can't do this myself.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:39 AM

Is this really a fold? I would normally call with any 2 here automatically. You lose any folding equity if you give up this BB and you let the short stack nearly double up without a showdown. I haven't done the math but apparently calling is -cEV, but is it still $-EV with the other factors?
Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This kind of move would be extremely foolhardy from him without something vaguely decent, as the SB can easily call and remain in very good shape

[/ QUOTE ]

This play seems pretty standard from the button. He could have any two or he could easily have AK, AQ, Ax, QK etc. You're getting over 2:1 on your call. Therefore you're gettting the correct odds on the hands i've just listed to call. Obviously you are worried about a pair, and especially a big pair.

Do you have any reads on this guy. I.E. is this the first time he pushed this orbit?

EDIT:I suppose a read is irrelevent seeing how you would of folded if you knew he had QQ.

Oh well, i still don't mind the call
Old 09-20-2005, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Results

lol, it's always great to beat a boat - nevermind SGA, just eat lucky charms instead