Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 09-20-2005, 02:18 AM

Default intelligence at the table

I'm an avid reader of poker literature. Especially Harrington on Hold'em both volumes. There are a lot of excellent examples and advice in both books, however it doesn't seem like my opponents are intelligent enough for me to be able to work these plays. I find that I play pretty tightly on single-table tournaments in the beginning because usually the table is extremely loose and raising does little to push anoyone out. I gradually loosen up but am forced to succumb to some idiot who won the 4-way all-in pot at the beginning of the tourney and whose stack is enormous, this is a pretty common situation. My conservative anti-table play is thwarted by idiot draws with imporbable pot odds. But, I'm not passing the blame entirely. My knowledge of the cards is awesome, I know the plays, the stats, the tnedencies and how to read to pretty well, but it seems like I have very little control. My game is very conservative given the looseness of my envirnment. These are $20+2 single table tourneys that are tearing me apart. I need some strategy that is directed toward this type of situation. It makes little sense to post individual hands because this general scenario occurs VERY often. SOLUTION please!
Old 09-20-2005, 02:19 AM

Default Re: intelligence at the table

Don't try the plays you read in HOH2. Play boring ABC poker and you will beat the games, assuming you're at the low limits with thoughtless opponents, as I assumed from your post.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't try the plays you read in HOH2. Play boring ABC poker and you will beat the games, assuming you're at the low limits with thoughtless opponents, as I assumed from your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that "boring ABC poker" for sit and gos mean that you should be pushing with trash late in the tournament sometimes.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:28 AM

Yeah that's fun for like three days. Push with 75o and your heart rate spikes, you're shouting "don't call, don't call!" But you quickly adjust, and eventually you need to push trash just to make it through the day. I guess that's what moving up in limits is for.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 AM

ummmmm, pushing 5,7o SB vs. BB, folded to you when it's like 4-6 times BB is stack, that's standard for everyone else??? or just me????
Old 09-20-2005, 03:04 AM

That's what I'm saying. It's exciting the first couple times cause you can't believe you're pushing trash, but it quickly becomes standard and..boring.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ummmmm, pushing 5,7o SB vs. BB, folded to you when it's like 4-6 times BB is stack, that's standard for everyone else??? or just me????

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup for anything under 5 if you're strict HoH2 on inflection points (you should be). Believe it or not, 57off is only a real underdog to bigger pairs. Even against AKs, it's still a winner 35% of the time. Against say A4off, it's 41% etc etc.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:19 AM

yeah winning $ sucks
Old 09-20-2005, 09:21 AM

This appears to be a wordy variation on the old "you can't beat these idiots who call and suckout all the time" post.

eastbay
Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM

Couldnt agree more. If you know all your "stats" and stuff that you claim to do, the 20s should be a breeze. I don't consider myself a great SNGer by any means, but the 20s I have found to be fairly easy.