Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 02:14 AM

Default Should I have just pushed pf?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t1170)
Hero (t700)
UTG (t680)
MP1 (t1075)
MP2 (t1825)
CO (t1045)
Button (t1505)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, SB calls t200.

Flop: (t600) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, SB calls t400.

Turn: (t1000) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t1000) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t1000

Im thinking maybe I should have just pushed pf, how about the push on the flop? and if you can guess what villain has ill give you a $1 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-19-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Should I have just pushed pf?

Yes.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:30 AM

I would guess 9s because that would be both highly aggravating and unlikely enough to challenge the forum to guess. I could also imagine KQ calling here. I really think you should push preflop with 10s and your stack, precisely because you want to avoid making decisions on these sort of flops and don't have enough chips for much post-flop maneuvering. Also, putting 3/7ths of your stack effectively pot commits you and you might as well get your money in while your hand is still likely the best.

If you don't push preflop however, is it horrible to check/fold this flop?
Are you not pushing preflop because you want to push all safe (non-ace) flops (buying information for the risk of getting outflopped), or are you not pushing preflop because you think you have more fold equity with the stop and go on any flop (maybe more with A high flops)? If the it's former, I think checking behind and trying to improve or reevaluating on the turn based on betting is better than pushing the flop. If it's the latter, I guess there's no further analysis needed. I guess it comes down to this: Do you want a call or not? If you do, it comes down to reads. Has the SB shown a willingness to gamble preflop? A willingness to fold to a big flop bet when he checks? If he will call with a wide range, preflop push is right. If you don't want to showdown the hand, and he is tight or weak postflop if he doesn't hit hard but slightly loose/passive preflop, stop and go is right. If he will fold to a big reraise preflop, then that's what to do.

New here and relatively new to poker. Please excuse any blatant errors in reasoning.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you should push preflop with 10s and your stack, precisely because you want to avoid making decisions on these sort of flops and don't have enough chips for much post-flop maneuvering. Also, putting 3/7ths of your stack effectively pot commits you and you might as well get your money in while your hand is still likely the best.

If you don't push preflop however, is it horrible to check/fold this flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an easy push preflop, and no you shouldn't fold in this situation for reasoning you already gave.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 AM

No debating push pf. Use the 10X BB rule. You only have 7X the BB with a nice Pair. Your pot committed when you raise to 3X the BB or 4X and leave yourself no room to do anything on the flop except push or call yourself all in.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:56 AM

My guess is 55. That would explain your regret for not pushing preflop.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:16 AM

push preflop.

that said i wouldn't push this flop afterwords becuase thats a sure way to get called by all the hands that beat you as no ace is ever folding.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:15 PM

He actually had k9 and I couldnt believe he called