Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 09-02-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Help me solve this problem please (Update)

Thanks to all for their advice so far.

After connecting the PC speaker, the computer makes repeating short beeps indicating a power supply or system board problem. I borrowed a power supply from another computer, hooked it up, and got the same problem which narrows it down to the system board.

Here is where I need some advice... If I completely disconnect the power to the computer for a half hour or so, then reconnect and startup, I get a normal "beep" and it seems to start up normally until it tries to scan IDE devices or load windows, where it freezes. I power down and start again and immediately get the repeating short beeps. This happens also when I try making a different hard drive (with operating system) as master.

My guess is that there is a transistor or capacitor (or the like) that is malfunctioning on the motherboard, and when it juices up, it does not do what it is supposed to, and then the computer goes into beeping mode. I am guessing this because even when I had the system down to barebones (motherboard and processor) it did this, but only when it is disconnected from power for an extended period of time does it seem to initially start normally. Perhaps this power disconnect is allowing any electrical charges on the motherboard to dissipate, and then it operates normally until the malfunctioning part gets charged. What do you think?

I have a RAID 0 array with two 60GB hard drives as my master drive right now. My main concern is keeping the data on these drives intact. What should I do? Order the same motherboard, connect everything, and turn it on?

Learning about computers,

MisterW
Old 09-03-2005, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Help me solve this problem please (Update)

This sort of question is hard to answer over the net, sounds like a hardware problem, I wouldn't worry about your hdd's, they'll stay intact. If your pretty sure it could be your mobo / cpu I would ship it down to the local shop and some guy with all the spare parts run some diagnostics.