Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:39 PM

Default Strange CPU usage problem

I'm not computer illiterate, but this one has thrown me for a loop. My computers performance has dropped dramatically in the last week.

While idling, the CPU Usage History alternates every second between 2% and 92%. I have run every anti-virus software, adaware, hijack this, all come up with nothing.

I have recently added a secocnd monitor to the 2 monitor video card that was already there, but it ran fine for a few days, and then blammo.

The sound from my onboard sound card has also fizzled and everything sounds garbled and slow.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Strange CPU usage problem

try disabling native sound on your mobo.

did you install any programs or go to any websites that you usually dont go to right before this issue started?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:55 PM

Try going in the task manager and order the processes by CPU usage...if it happen every second you will see which process is going crazy.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Try going in the task manager and order the processes by CPU usage...if it happen every second you will see which process is going crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesnt this go without saying?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:56 PM

It didn't go without saying for me. Anyway, hadn't noticed before that there is a process called System Idle Process, User Name System, CPU 95(!?), Mem usage 16K.

I tried to end the process and it says the operation could not be completed. The operation is not valid for this process.

Edit: Just booted my other computer and it also is running this process with approximately the same CPU#, but the overall CPU Usage is running around 2% so I guess its not what I thought.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:17 PM

"System Idle"

Think about it. What do you think that means?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:19 PM

System idle process doesn't count as a process, it's what remaining of the system ressources at the moment. What you describe is normal for an idle system. If you leave it open though do you see a process poping up from time to time? You should if you say your CPU graph goes from low to high every second.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:53 PM

looks like the op has the same problem i have. i see the cpu usage graph spike, but do not see any processes with high usage popping up on the usage list.

sorry for the hijack and bump, but i could also use help with this problem.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:53 AM

If it peaks and no process is showing to use, then it is the system itself (aka windows) that uses it for drivers, services and so on. Click "show kernel times" up in View in taskman and you will see a red line also in the graph. The green is total usage and the red is what the system used of that amount.