Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Small Cap vs Large Cap

Can anyone elaborate on my thoughts of small cap vs large cap stocks? Currently I'm in pdc, a driller which has underperformed its peers, since my buy point 1 month ago (I know it's an extremely short time, but my investment style has been short term, buy well cheap, sell when fully valued look for another stock).

PDC is up 5.4% beating 1 large cap competitor and losing to 5 others low: 1.95%, high at 31.11%. The 6 symbols are: atw, do, hal, nbl, ois, rig.

I make this assumption because when I was in google, I watched as yahoo lag behind despite good news. I've seen for a consistent amount of time for pdc to lag on oil prices going up. Before the hurricane the stock flatlined at 0% return during a month where oil went up 10%.

Clearly there are many factors to why my stock is underperforming, but in general can anyone say that large caps outperform small caps during times when the trend is hot (like oil, because investors rush into stocks that are big and well known).
Old 08-31-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Small Cap vs Large Cap

Not an exact answer to your question but over the last few years MDY (mid-cap S&P index) has outperformed SPY and the Dow.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:50 PM

My 2 cents would be, when negative things happen like rising oil prices small caps will be hurt most because of the volitility of the stocks. Small caps are greater risk most of the time, so they go lower than large caps when the market goes low, but rase higher than large caps when the market rises, generally speaking.
Old 09-01-2005, 04:31 PM

In the aggregate, small cap stocks tend to outperform large cap stocks in the long term, since good small caps are still in high growth phases, while the largest cap stocks have already passed their hyper growth phase.