Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Holy crap, I just got spyware and I didn\'t even know this was possible

Went to this page:

http://www.freeroms.com/nes.htm

clicked on the "m" link.

and I swear, there was no prompting, no dialog box, NOTHING... a new window popped up, I closed it by right clicking on the window in the taskbar and clicking close, and before I could, 180 search had been installed on my system... now it's popping up useless crap all the time (1 per 30 seconds or so).

I'm going to have to run adaware or something like that.

Anyone have experience iwth this POS? I'm curious about how to remove it, and VERY curious about how it got installed without my permission. Are there I.E. security features I need to enable (sorry, I know, I.E. isn't "the nuts" or anything, but I"m comfortable with it).
Old 08-30-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Holy crap, I just got spyware and I didn\'t even know this was possible

alright, I removed the program, following their instructions, from the control panel...

I haven't got anythign else popping up, but now I have a mirar toolbar in IE, and I obviously want it removed. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

---

Edit: still getting popups:

link to info about this i.e. object
Old 08-30-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Holy crap, I just got spyware and I didn\'t even know this was possible

ran adaware, it appears to be gone...

jesus christ... I'd forgotten what a pain these programs are!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Holy crap, I just got spyware and I didn\'t even know this was poss

It is a pesky piece of spyware. here is what i found so far...

[ QUOTE ]
It is notable that older versions of nCase and the 180Search Assistant require an Internet connection to uninstall. This is not best practice. Current versions do not seem to need an Internet connection to uninstall.

Most versions have an item in the "Add/Remove Programs" list. If not, re-installation can help.

But make sure to remove "host applications" first.

All uninstallers leave the nCase/Inst control in place, allowing nCase to be reinstalled without prompting. To remove this, open the Downloaded Program Files folder (inside the Windows folder) and delete the entry ‘nCaseInstaller Class’ (nCase/Inst/nc variant), ‘180SAInstaller Class’ (nCase/Inst/180SA variant) or ‘ZangoInstaller Class’ (nCase/Inst/Zango variant).

Note- 180 solutions has been to known to use a "resuscitator application". This application monitors for the uninstallation of 180 Solutions software and prompts the user if they want to reinstall the software.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 AM

*cough* Firefox *cough*
Old 08-31-2005, 12:00 PM

IE being the most used browser at the moment, while not being the best one is part of the problem. Most spywares take advantage of the flaws offered so that they can install themselves by merely visiting a webpage (which is made for that purpose).

I would strongly suggest changing browser to the free Firefox or Opera (free but with banner, which you have to pay for)

If changing browser isn't an options there are things which will prevent IE related infection...however your browsing experience may be affected. Letting your anti-spyware real time scan on will help as well...I know spybot as one and MS Anti-Spyware come with one also.