Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-30-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Windows CPU Graph Having Heart Attack

I often play Party/Empire with my Windows task manager on and with the performance tab open. At the beginning of every session, the CPU graph runs very low, bouncing between 2-20%. If another program is running, like Poker Tracker, the CPU gragh will naturally and temporarily go up while importing hand histories. Then return to normal.

After an hour or two the CPU gragh starts racing up and down between 14-85% like a heart attack on an EKG. This happens suddenly, rather than gradually. It stays like that until the computer is shut down. The computer seems to function fine even during the CPI "heart attack."

Is some part of the memory overloading? Is the computer being scanned? What's happening?
Old 08-30-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Windows CPU Graph Having Heart Attack

The next time it happens select the "Process" tab in Task Manager" and then click on the "cpu" column header to sort the processes by cpu usage. Whatever process is using all the cpu will sort to the top and you can get an idea what is causing it.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:02 PM

How much ram do you have. Make sure you have >512.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How much ram do you have. Make sure you have >512.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prrrrr, the standard "512mb is not enough", when will it stop....

Did you actually know that 512mb is enough in almost all cases? I can 4 table and run PT using less than 250mb memory usage with my windows 2000.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:31 PM

The reason lots of people say that is because its true. Running windows 2000 is like using a freaking abacus. Practically every computer nowadays runs xp. This right there practically requires 200meg just to run. There is not reason to run 2000. The only benefit is that it does not get infected with viruses that much anymore.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:33 PM

I meant to say >/= 512
Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM

No reason to run Win2K?

So you basically agree that Win2K can run with 256Mb ram yet it's useless and we should all upgrade to WinXP which include buying a license and more ram according to you...if you have a perfectly good machine and you like it I don't really see why you would want to pay that kind of money.

Secondly I'll have to side with MyMindIsGoing, 256Mb of ram is ok to run WinXP...I've done it for over a year. I don't like WinXP interface anyway, I disable the visual thingy which are pretty for the first 10 minutes...basically I have pretty much the same machine as anyone running Win2K plus a few advantages (my machine ran quite well with 256Mb).

Over 256Mb of RAM sure does has it's advantage, same can be said for a faster processor a better MoBo, etc. Facts are that Windows XP run with 256Mb of RAM and having more pretty much have nothing to do with the CPU graph having a heart attack...put aside a few exceptional things as a faulty HD running under PIO and requiring more CPU cycles to use virtual memory.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason lots of people say that is because its true. Running windows 2000 is like using a freaking abacus. Practically every computer nowadays runs xp. This right there practically requires 200meg just to run. There is not reason to run 2000. The only benefit is that it does not get infected with viruses that much anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even gonna comment that stupid post. It just shows how little you know about operating systems and what an ignorant person you are.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:51 PM

I agree with you. Good post, one of the better posts I read lately.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Somebody's been drinking lots of Microsoft coolaid. The difference between XP and 2000 are mostly cosmetic. That and all the slick graphics make XP more of a memory and resource hog than 2000.