Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 03:56 PM

Default How to become a trader

hello all,

I currently work as a fund accountant having graduated with an accounting degree.

However, i am not certain i want to do accounting fro the rest of my life.

I've always been interested/fascinated with trading. Question is, i am 29 years old, have no experience in it. How difficult would it be to get a job as a trader's assistant at one of the big broker dealers, or even a small one. Or is there no hope for me? what do you guys suggest?

As this would be a huge change in career path (probably be taking a huge pay cut going from asst controller to trader's assistant)

I have been looking around these forums and read some great posts about book recommendations to get started.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: How to become a trader

Option 1 - apply to business school - Wharton, Columbia, MIT, Univ Chicago, or any finance heavy B school. Get MBA, apply for trader job.

Option 2 - Move to New York, seek out a job where you can be the accountant for a hedge fund. On the side, dazzle the traders with your money making ideas until they are forced to make you one of their own.

Good luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:09 PM

absorb everything you can about trading styles and then start to trade yourself also NETWORK
Old 08-24-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Option 1 - apply to business school - Wharton, Columbia, MIT, Univ Chicago, or any finance heavy B school. Get MBA, apply for trader job.

Option 2 - Move to New York, seek out a job where you can be the accountant for a hedge fund. On the side, dazzle the traders with your money making ideas until they are forced to make you one of their own.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess i fall into option #2 since i currenty work as a fund accountant at a hedge fund here in NYC. Mainly long/short equities, ton of options, some equity swaps. In the past couple months here, i've learned a great deal about options ranging from basic strategies to more intermediate concepts like butterfly spreads.

But i guess should start thinking about money making ideas, wish me luck.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been looking around these forums and read some great posts about book recommendations to get started.

[/ QUOTE ]

Start reading, start trading you own account, impress the traders at the hedge fund you work for.

Simple formula [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 AM

I think getting a job as an assistant trader is pretty easy, especially if you approach derivatives trading firms which still have a presence on the trading floors. I think an MBA is useless, you would much much rather get an advanced degree in Mathematical Finance or somesuch.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think getting a job as an assistant trader is pretty easy, especially if you approach derivatives trading firms which still have a presence on the trading floors. I think an MBA is useless, you would much much rather get an advanced degree in Mathematical Finance or somesuch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, how much do asst traders usually make? and i am assuming it will be easier to get a job as an asst trader at a broker dealer rather than a hedge fund.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Paul, how much do asst traders usually make? and i am assuming it will be easier to get a job as an asst trader at a broker dealer rather than a hedge fund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay first off I'm not Paul, I'm Paluka.
You are right that hedge fund jobs are harder to bet.
I think assistant traders probably start btw 35k and 65k.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay first off I'm not Paul, I'm Paluka.
You are right that hedge fund jobs are harder to bet.
I think assistant traders probably start btw 35k and 65k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, sorry bout that Paluka.
thanks for the info.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:45 AM

You might also find "Trading with the enemy" by Nicholas Maier, an interesting read.