Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 07:09 AM

Default When should one buy a house?

A guy wants to buy a house. 10% down, 2 years of mortage payments, and a steady sustainable job, say an income of 25k+

Sound about right? Any other things he should think about?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: When should one buy a house?

Uh, no offense, but that person should probably be thinking about getting a better job.

Your living expenses should rarely exceed 33% of your income, and on an income of $25k/year, I assume it would.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:19 AM

I would invest in a better education before buying a home in a neighborhood that is affordable to people making $25K ($12.5/per hr?).
Old 08-24-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Uh, no offense, but that person should probably be thinking about getting a better job.

Your living expenses should rarely exceed 33% of your income, and on an income of $25k/year, I assume it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

25k was the minimum. forget that number. This isn't my job.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:28 AM

Not just Living Expenses should be considered. Think of this as Financial Implied odds. As you progress in life, expenses, debts, as well as unknown costs will be incurred. Even if you maintain a healthy 33% ratio of Expenses/Income, you have to consider your debt as well. What happens if you get in an accident? If you are unable to work for even 2 months, your bills will either fall behind to the point where creditors are knocking down your door, or... you will be up to your ears in debt, with medical expenses as well as past due bills. Usually, the case is both happens. I would encourage anyone who is thinking of buying a home to plan accordingly for future possible expenses, debts as well as incidents. Myself personally, am currently finishing up my final year and am about to recieve a Finance Degree. However, my wife and I are not planning on purchasing a house until our debt/income ratio is below 15% (current 31% with student loans - taking a huge chunk out of those over a 2 year period) Also, when i start recieving full time income, that will help. Just another thing to remember and consider... count future expenses into your equation.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:38 AM

Using 33% as your living expenses on 25k.. that gives you the following:

Assuming a net income of $25,000 a year
Montly income = $2083.30
33% of Monthly income = $687.50

By maintaining that ratio, you should be spending $687.50 of your income monthly on living expenses. Without getting too detailed, lets just assume that half of your expenses is your mortgage+insurance

Mortgage Payment = $343.75

Now.. with this payment, at a 5% APR, you could afford a house costing - $64034.

That's a generous rate, especially since the buyer is most likely young. Additionally that house price is WAY to low to be something worth buying, unless you are looking into investment opportunities, or other ventures, not a great scenario here to buy at this point.

Although the savings look nice, and the 10% down (which wasn't added into the calculations) I would agree with everyone else in saying that perhaps the potential buyer should improve thier situation financially, by either getting a signifigant down payment, or improve the income/education etc..

Hope this helps, and please anyone feel free to dispute/correct my math, its very late, and errors are possible, but the general idea is there.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:15 PM

"Your living expenses should rarely exceed 33% of your income, and on an income of $25k/year, I assume it would."

For this rule of thumb do you use gross or net income.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Your living expenses should rarely exceed 33% of your income, and on an income of $25k/year, I assume it would."

For this rule of thumb do you use gross or net income.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gross

Some also use 25% of net monthly income as a gauge.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Montly income = $2083.30

By maintaining that ratio, you should be spending $687.50 of your income monthly on living expenses. Without getting too detailed, lets just assume that half of your expenses is your mortgage+insurance

Now.. with this payment, at a 5% APR, you could afford a house costing - $64034.

That's a generous rate, especially since the buyer is most likely young. Additionally that house price is WAY to low to be something worth buying, unless you are looking into investment opportunities, or other ventures, not a great scenario here to buy at this point.

Although the savings look nice, and the 10% down (which wasn't added into the calculations) I would agree with everyone else in saying that perhaps the potential buyer should improve thier situation financially, by either getting a signifigant down payment, or improve the income/education etc..

Hope this helps, and please anyone feel free to dispute/correct my math, its very late, and errors are possible, but the general idea is there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your post but 25K was the absolute minimum income i was suggesting. I am going to be a teacher and i think the starting salary in my area is 33k or so with a mandatory 1000 dollar raise every year, so that's not too far off of that 25k I guess. I was really just asking for a theory for everyone to go by as to when they should buy a house. I enjoyed your posts though.

How would a downpayment of 20% or 0 down change the strategy of someone buying a house. Assume 35k or so for their salary and a 200,000$ house. I'm leaving poker out of this because it's hard to say where the games will be in 3 years, but it may be a factor nonetheless.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Montly income = $2083.30

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked your post but 25K was the absolute minimum income i was suggesting. I am going to be a teacher and i think the starting salary in my area is 33k or so with a mandatory 1000 dollar raise every year, so that's not too far off of that 25k I guess. I was really just asking for a theory for everyone to go by as to when they should buy a house. I enjoyed your posts though.

How would a downpayment of 20% or 0 down change the strategy of someone buying a house. Assume 35k or so for their salary and a 200,000$ house. I'm leaving poker out of this because it's hard to say where the games will be in 3 years, but it may be a factor nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]

35k salary and 200k house......not likely.