Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 AM

Default The Benefits of Being a Late Adopter w/Microsoft Products

Well I just read another PC Mag article about how microsoft should be ready to release their new OS, Longhorn by the holidays. I have never bought any of their products when they first came out. I totally skipped Windows 3.0 and only upgraded from DOS when Windows 95 came out. I skipped 98, adopted ME (wished I hadn't) and then only got XP early this year with a new machine after SP2 was released. Same with their office products too - didn't buy them until later releases. So after they have scaled Longhorn way down and missed deadlines to deploy it, they finally will release it by year's end. I plan to just plug along with XP for at least 18 months since I REFUSE TO PAY TO BE A DEFACTO BETA TESTER. All of you who rush to upgrade and encounter all the bugs, security and otherwise that should have been found and fixed during the "official" beta period, wiil effectively be the real beta testers, albeit ones who paid for the privilege instead of the other way around. I wouldn't even get Longhorn if I bought a new machine in the next year. Waiting until later to adopt Microsoft upgrades is definitely +EV IMO since most of the bugs will finally have been found then.

What do the rest of you think?
Old 08-08-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: The Benefits of Being a Late Adopter w/Microsoft Products

First of all, it is no longer called Longhorn. Second "I REFUSE TO PAY TO BE A DEFACTO BETA TESTER.", noone is forcing you to use their products at all....
Old 08-08-2005, 02:37 PM

If you don't need it, don't get it. The US is saturated with consumeraholics.

In regards to bugs, *shrug*. They're still finding bugs in Win98 / 2k / XP years after their initial release. Maybe you should just to DOS 6.22.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:56 PM

I got 2k pretty early after it was released, and still use it, it actually did some useful stuff compared to 98 or NT. Every time I use XP on someone elses computer I'm amazed at how much it sucks. The default "user friendly" settings are so insanely annoying (also true for every version, but XP seems to have taken it to a new level), probably OK after some tweaking, but I see no reason to upgrade.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got 2k pretty early after it was released, and still use it, it actually did some useful stuff compared to 98 or NT. Every time I use XP on someone elses computer I'm amazed at how much it sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't agree more. I still run 2k too, however I will install 2003 server soon since MS more or less given up on 2k now. 2003 server is the server version of Windows XP and looks like 2000 as deafault. It is very stable and clean, and it runs everyting like it should and does not feel like a server os at all (like NT4 server did). Feels like a natural upgrade.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:24 PM

You did yourself a horrible disservice by getting XP so late. The day it was released it was better than 9x/2k w/ all the patches. Overall your concept made since pre XP.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got 2k pretty early after it was released, and still use it, it actually did some useful stuff compared to 98 or NT. Every time I use XP on someone elses computer I'm amazed at how much it sucks. The default "user friendly" settings are so insanely annoying (also true for every version, but XP seems to have taken it to a new level), probably OK after some tweaking, but I see no reason to upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes 10 seconds to apply 'windows classic' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 08-08-2005, 06:43 PM

I feel the same way (says the guy still running Windows 98SE).

I am shopping for a new desktop. I want PVR functions, so any comp I buy will likely have Windows Media Center Edition 2005. The 2004 edition was apparently horrible, but the 2005 edition seems to be getting good reviews.

However, I do playing on making sure my computer is appropriate for when I do upgrade the OS.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, it is no longer called Longhorn. Second "I REFUSE TO PAY TO BE A DEFACTO BETA TESTER.", noone is forcing you to use their products at all....

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite true. My point is that Microsoft is taking advantage of consumers by releasing products with too high of a bug content, and that the best response is to adopt later when a bigger % of the bugs have been fixed. I also think the reason for this state of affairs is the resources put into monopolistic practices trying to jump into every application category to kill off the competition, when those resources could have been better used to fine tune their core OS and Office products so that they release a better finished product.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes 10 seconds to apply 'windows classic' [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

The skin is only one thing out of dozens that annoy me. It's hard to explain, but every time I sit on someones XP box I run into something that just makes me cringe and think WTF WTF WTF!?!?

Everyone I know that got it early (4 people) were having issues with either drivers or software. Slashdot seemed to have daily news about XP vulnerabilities. These aren't issues anymore, but I can't think of one thing XP offers that would make me want to switch.