Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 04:22 AM

Default Wireless networking help

Hi everyone,

I just got this laptop from work that I would like use wirelessly at home. It's a Persariox1000 and I'm not sure if it has a card that's needed already in it. It says "Centreino mobile technology" on the Intel sign but I'm not really sure what that means.

If it isnt wireless ready, what's the name of the card that I need to purchase?

What router is recommended? I need something that is super easy to set up.

Is there anything else that I need to get or set up before I can have it running?

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Wireless networking help

The Centrino machines include a wireless card, so you won't need anything extra in the laptop. Can't advise on an access point, mine's years old and discontinued!
Old 08-04-2005, 05:45 AM

Thanks, can someone recommend a good router?
Old 08-04-2005, 10:19 PM

I have the same machine and am considering getting a wireless router as well. I'm hoping someone can make a recommendation because I don't know much about computers.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:21 PM

I use the linksys wrt54g. These are in best buy, compusa, etc are are labeled "wireless router G" or something like that. I've installed about a dozen of these little guys with no problems and no complaints. It provides a b/g wireless access point, 4 wired ports, and a very good, linux-based firewall. Last one I bought was about $60, but the prices are pretty variable depending on when and where you buy.

Don't forget to change the default password and enable encryption.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 AM

I've got a D-link 514 that's b/g. Got it at best buy with a rebate. cost me a total of $8 after rebate.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:16 PM

It depends on what you are after, budget, and the layout of your house. if you after speed and don't mind spending a couple of extra bucks, the best on the market right now is the Belkin wireless pre-n router that will give you blazing speed up to 5x faster than regular routers with 8x the coverage area. And actually with the rebates you can pick them up at circuit city for 129.99 (which is price for many lower quality routers) That will be my choice when I finally upgrade. Go ahead and google it everyone loves it..
Old 08-09-2005, 10:29 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the help. I ended up going with the Linksys and had it set up in less then an hour. My only complaint is I guess I was expecting it to have a bigger range then it actually does. For example I live in a two floor house and have the router set up on the first floor, I can barely pick up a signal in my bed room which is on the second floor. Is there anything I can do about this, or is this the norm?

Thanks.