Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2005, 06:25 AM

Default Firefox stopped working!

So I downloaded the latest update from mozialla and now the browser wont access the internet at all. Tried disabling virus protection and still nada. Any ideas?
Old 07-31-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Firefox stopped working!

Redownloaded update after uninstalling the old version.
Still nothing.
A firefox.exe process continues running after I close the browser and will not shut down.
I cannot shutdown the computer, get a message saying CCapp.exe needs to be shut down but it will not close it apparntly, so I have to kill the power to restart.
After restarting I tried the firefox uninstall then manually deleting all firefox directories and content. Still the same problem after reinstalling. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2005, 07:20 AM

Sounds to me like you run Norton AntiVirus 2003?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:36 AM

Its a Norton Internet Security 2005 package that came installed on my new pc. Should I try running firefox with it shut down completely?
Old 07-31-2005, 08:51 AM

You could try that. CCapp.exe is a part of norton anyways, so it is not firefox not letting you shut down your computer. I never been a fan of all those real time virus scanners or firewalls. I scan all I need when I download it (if it needs to be scanned that is). I don't run firewalls either, I trust my config of windows (I sometimes run a logger to see if anyone ever got into my computer, and it has never happen so far). All those programs are just in the way if you ask me, and they slow down the computer.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
A firefox.exe process continues running after I close the browser

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I get this, I manually end the process (ctrl-alt-del, processes, highlight, end process). After that the program runs perfectly when I try to start it up again.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever I get this, I manually end the process (ctrl-alt-del, processes, highlight, end process). After that the program runs perfectly when I try to start it up again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my initial thought as well, however when I attempt this it just stays there as if I had done nothing at all.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't run firewalls either, I trust my config of windows (I sometimes run a logger to see if anyone ever got into my computer, and it has never happen so far). All those programs are just in the way if you ask me, and they slow down the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't had any problems yet it is probably because you are in fact running behind an isp firewall.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't run firewalls either, I trust my config of windows (I sometimes run a logger to see if anyone ever got into my computer, and it has never happen so far). All those programs are just in the way if you ask me, and they slow down the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you haven't had any problems yet it is probably because you are in fact running behind an isp firewall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets just say I know what I am doing. I am currently working on my degree in computer networking and computer security and I have several certs in operating systems. I know what the threats are and how to stop them. The whole commercial firewall/antivirus thing is just overhyped if you ask me.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:20 PM

A hardware router gives much more security than a piece of software.