Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Pro or Reg Joe blow?

Ok, over the past few years or so I have been playing poker and I by no means claim to have an "unlimited bankroll" or consider myself an SNG pro. However I notice many posts on "what level should I play, $22's $33's $55's?" which brings me to my post.
I have been playing Party Poker for about a year to a year and a half, after a few weeks or so I stumbeled on to SNG's and thought I was a SNG master. I would win or come in top 3 at the 5$ or 10$ tourneys often then hit a losing streak then go back up and so on. I eventually wandered up to 22's, 55's and on ocassion 109's. I then went on a variance swing for probably a good 50-60games. That was a big blow to my "poker confidence". Needless to say I got out of my funk by winning a Step tourney, and placing 3rd in the next.
I have recently been playing in 50-200$ sng's and have had less problems with variance/losing swings,actually enjoy playing, and feel my play is alot stronger. You rarely get landmines who think it is funny to go all in for 45chips in blinds with a 9-3o or something and bust you with miracle cards. Im sure you guys agree with me on that much so far. However, I feel like I am actually playing for something. I just can not take 10+1's or 5+1's seriously and tend to piddle around more than actually play poker, this was a problem even before I started padding the bankroll with step tourneys. (Please do not be offended if you regular 10+1's and so on, im not putting you down in any way saying you play in 10's and understand many people can be somewhat profitable multi tableing and so on.)
But I was wanting to pick some of ur brains on what you guys thought on the matter. If anyone else who frequent $50's-200's sng's feels the same way/disagrees please leave feedback. Could this just be a hole in my game that needs patching?

Thanks,
P

P.S.- im unsure on how to work all the programs for ROI and whatnot, but I have played in the area of 500 games with 41% winning percentage, give or take a few % if it helps at all. I know it is somewhat vague but im working on getting those programs running, im somewhat new to posting here.thanks again
Old 07-22-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: Pro or Reg Joe blow?

[ QUOTE ]

I have recently been playing in 50-200$ sng's and have had less problems with variance/losing swings,actually enjoy playing, and feel my play is alot stronger. You rarely get landmines who think it is funny to go all in for 45chips in blinds with a 9-3o or something and bust you with miracle cards. Im sure you guys agree with me on that much so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody should agree with you. The higher your ITM%, the smaller your losing streams will be; and the lower you play, the higher your ITM% will be. This is a fact (unless you actually play better at higher levels, which may be the case for you.)

As far as people pushing with 9-3 into a 45 chip pot... that's quite exploitable.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I feel like I am actually playing for something. I just can not take 10+1's or 5+1's seriously and tend to piddle around more than actually play poker, this was a problem even before I started padding the bankroll with step tourneys.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, you may play better due to this fact... but you would win more often at the lower levels if you played well at those levels.

[ QUOTE ]
im unsure on how to work all the programs for ROI and whatnot

[/ QUOTE ]

No need for a program, just a calculator: money won/money invested.

Irieguy
Old 07-22-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Pro or Reg Joe blow?

If i did it correctly, since Jun2 my ROI is 23.24%, and that is purely me playing Steps, and 50-200$ sng's rather than 5-30's. While playing 5-30$ sngs i was only up a little bit, cashing out 100$ or so every few weeks.