Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Well, will you?
Yes 13 20.00%
No 52 80.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2005, 10:28 AM

Default Implied odds hands in level 1 on Party

Everyone knows to limp PPs early obviously. But after discussion with another 2+2er over IM we had a disagreement over other high implied odds hands in position.

How many limpers to you would you need to limp in the following situation: you have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button, or T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You don't expect the these particular blinds to raise without AJ+/99+. PLEASE ONLY VOTE IN THIS POLL WITH RESPECT TO GAMES $33 and below! Also, please pick the minimum number of limpers before you would limp behind.

Edit: please note this question is mostly geared to the expected return on your 15 chips based on Party's structure. Anyone who is folding these hands on PokerStars or PokerRoom to 2 limpers is definitely losing value. The question is, with an 800 chip stack on Party is it worth it?
Old 07-22-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: Implied odds hands in level 1 on Party

Well it looks like 1 person is openlimping these hands on the button. Do you find they pay off?
Old 07-22-2005, 11:01 AM

hey durron, id really like to have a family pot. im only at the 22s just started again with the 10s and moved up after a couple weeks. its just that im usually going to fold and if i hit its usually a draw. if its going to be a draw with a family pot im going to want the nutdraw so no T9s for me. but after 4+ limpers ill take that AXs to see a flop.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:02 AM

I said two limpers for both; I think at that point, you're very likely to find at least 1 player in the $33s and below (of the 4 in the pot with you, assuming both blinds take the flop) who will donate his stack to you when you hit a big flop. Or, they'll donate some chips/minimize your losses when you outplay them postflop. Or, you'll whiff on the flop and only lose T15.

Maybe I just have rose-colored glasses here, but doubling up early is such a huge advantage in Party SNGs that I don't mind a little cheap multiway action (even for like 2% of my stack) with hands that do well multiway.

I just realized I didn't quantify anything. I love rambling.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:09 AM

I'd like two limpers for speculative hands in level 1. But I'm fine with a single guy providing he fits a chipspewing profile.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:17 AM

I went for three limpers with T9s and never for A4s, because it's much easier to play a flop with T9s and also easier to see when you've hit, than with A4s in my opinion, also you get much better draws with it. But hey that's just me.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I went for three limpers with T9s and never for A4s, because it's much easier to play a flop with T9s and also easier to see when you've hit, than with A4s in my opinion, also you get much better draws with it. But hey that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I limp with A4s check/fold unless I have the nut flush draw at minimum. Semibluffing with 12 outs (edit: or sometimes more if I have a wheel draw) is a good way to accumulate some chips. Flopping TPcrapK is not worth investing more than my starting 15 in a family pot.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have gone from absurdly tight in level 1-2 to opening up my game quite a bit and trusting my postflop abilities. So there is constant tweaking going on as to what I play and how I play it.

I definately think there are chips to be made from playing more hands early on. But of course you can go to far and hurt your stack often.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:45 AM

These are draw heavy hands. They only bleed chips.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These are draw heavy hands. They only bleed chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think your opponents will give you bad odds to hit your draws, of course you should be more reluctant to play them. On the other hand, it is pretty common that streets are checked through in the 11s-22s.