Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 11:52 PM

Default What gives me more EV?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter

CO (t2360)
Button (t1745)
Hero (t1035)
BB (t2115)
UTG (t1050)
MP1 (t655)
MP2 (t1040)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t100, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero ...

I used to raise to ~300 in this spot, and after collecting some pretty nasty bad beats for not pushing it I started to just shove it.

Today I tried the milking approach and it made me wonder what is better in this spot. What is your default move here?
Old 07-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Default Re: What gives me more EV?

Default, I shove it. I guess I can see the reasoning for not shoving, especially with AA and not KK, but meh...
Old 07-22-2005, 12:03 AM

3xBB pre flop, then auto-push on any flop!
Old 07-22-2005, 12:20 AM

I shove KK and I milk AA in this spot. There are quite a few spots where he'll call your push on the flop with just top pair, middle pair, and who knows what else that he wouldn't have called the preflop shove with. I think AA is strong enough to allow him to see a cheaper flop, KK I don't want to play any flop with an ace with shallow stacks so I just push it.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:23 AM

Just make normal raise, you will get more action.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:24 AM

Its real hard to figure out what you got then isnt it?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:31 AM

I like raising 3BB (instead of pushing) with AA-KK. If you had position, then maybe even TT sometimes, but at least QQ. People openlimp such crap from CO. On the flop I don't worry about one overcard, at least if it isn't A.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I shove KK and I milk AA in this spot. There are quite a few spots where he'll call your push on the flop with just top pair, middle pair, and who knows what else that he wouldn't have called the preflop shove with. I think AA is strong enough to allow him to see a cheaper flop, KK I don't want to play any flop with an ace with shallow stacks so I just push it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is everyone so worried about a dumb ace on the flop. We have the 2nd best hand preflop, and we'll have the best hand so often on the flop. I play AA-KK to maximize my equity in this spot, not reduce the likelyhood of some crappy bad beat. I'd raise 3x with AA-KK, and sometimes QQ here.
Old 07-22-2005, 03:04 AM

When you raise 3xbb out of position with a 10xbb stack aren't you just telling them you've got a big pair? So I just push because it's how I'd play alot of other weaker hands here and I want a call. Is that too fancy for the average villain?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you raise 3xbb out of position with a 10xbb stack aren't you just telling them you've got a big pair? So I just push because it's how I'd play alot of other weaker hands here and I want a call. Is that too fancy for the average villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, if I've been pushing a lot, I push with AA here too . This is especially good when I'm starting to get warnings from the other players for pushing too much. But if I haven't been very active, and villain is a donk, I think a 3x raise is fine, and will keep in many hands we have crushed, and will still call a flop push.