Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 PM

Default $215s - Big Stack Play

Alright, I'm pretty passive with the big stack on the bubble. My theory has always been: unless there's a shorty to exploit, chips = time, and time = the luxury to not have to expose my chips to a coin flip.

Anyway, on to the hand:

Blinds are 200/400
Hero (4500)
Button (1800)
SB (1700)
BB (2000)

I am viewed as somewhat of a maniac.
All the other players seem pretty solid except SB.
He's one of those guys that is always begging people to call pushes so he can sneak into the money, but he's never willing to step up to the plate himself.
I'm dealt 79o and fold without a second thought.
Should I be a least considering shoving this?
Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Default Re: $215s - Big Stack Play

Eh. This is close IMO. If you take 300 chips from the SB and give them to the Button this is a push.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:49 PM

Since you're viewed as a maniac, maybe you should give it a rest for a round. Restealing as the chip leader can be another option to get a few more chips instead of straight up stealing in this chip situation. These guys are so close, I don't think any of them would want to give the other two any kind of edge with a marginal hand. So, I'd pick and choose a few places to let up every once in a while (so you don't get called with better garbage), but overall I'd keep the pressure and let them knock themselves out. If you do get into a coinflip, you'll still end up second in chips.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Alright, I'm pretty passive with the big stack on the bubble. My theory has always been: unless there's a shorty to exploit, chips = time

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a question and not a smug remark, but do you think that is an optimal strategy? Personally, I think the huge profit in sng's lies in people not understanding how to play the bubble well or be aggressive enough. In regards to your specific question, using reasonable ranges it appears to be +EV to push, although I think you can use your discretion as it is not hugely so. But you should definitely be thinking about it, that I'm certain of.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:52 PM

It would depend how I felt about the table conditions. I know that everyone loves bullying in spots like this but I have to be honest that people call a lot more than given credit for. If you know all 3 players are good and solid players, then you should almost surely move allin.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:53 PM

this is a good fold, if you are viewed as a maniac and say you may have raised a number of hands as the chip leader the last 10 to 20 hands or so, then I would definately fold. You don't want to give any of these opponents the chance to easily double up and then you will be in the BB next hand(out another 400).
Old 07-21-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....unless there's a shorty to exploit, chips = time, and time = the luxury to not have to expose my chips to a coin flip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely put.

Ps. eh...I fold