Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 10:22 PM

Default Are small value MTT\'s -EV vs SnG\'s? (ie: $5000 guarenteed MTT\'s)

ie: 250 player $5000 guarenteed tourny last for 5+ hrs.

if you have 20% roi at the 55's, then your profit in 5 hrs of SnGs is $50. So you have to make at least $50 profit in the MTT to breakeven.

But what about the oppurtunity cost of not being able to leave your computer for any period of time for 5hrs?

sure, if you can normally play 5 straight hrs of Sng's, then it's not -EV, but i dont think many of us do that.

Obviously, if you want to do something different than SnG's, then i guess anything works. (ie: MTT's, Omaha, playing basketball)

And lets not forget that you can win ALOT more than $50 in a MTT. However, you can waste 4hrs and come out with nothing. (i think it takes 4hrs to make ITM. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img])

But overall, are MTT's -EV compared to SnG's?

Your thoughts?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:27 PM

Default Re: Are MTT\'s -EV vs SnG\'s?

People don't play MTT's to cash. People play MTTs to turn $200 into $70,000 in 6 hours.

That's why you always read on the forum "3 from money, but all I care about is final table"
Old 07-20-2005, 10:35 PM

ok, changed the title to small value MTT's.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People don't play MTT's to cash. People play MTTs to turn $200 into $70,000 in 6 hours.

That's why you always read on the forum "3 from money, but all I care about is final table"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wellll...
some people play like that but a lot of people play MTTs solely for a living these days, not that that means they use a different strategy just that they feel it is the most +EV for them.

As for the OPs question, calculating your EV in any given MTT can be difficult but try to estimate it, divide that by # of avg hours and compare to your expecting hourly rate of stts, not too tough.

I like Mtts because they are a fun change of pace from ring and STT and they present a lot of fun and unique situations.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wellll...
some people play like that but a lot of people play MTTs solely for a living these days, not that that means they use a different strategy just that they feel it is the most +EV for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily live off of one $70000 payday per year if your small cashes are enough to pay for buyins.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wellll...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can easily live off of one $70000 payday per year if your small cashes are enough to pay for buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. But you can also go a year wihtout a $70k payday. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Are small value MTT\'s -EV vs SnG\'s? (ie: $5000 guarenteed MTT\'s)

they are most def. -EV for me, because i have programed my very simple poker brain to do quite well at sngs, yet I suck profusely at MTTS..
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you have 20% roi at the 55's, then your profit in 5 hrs of SnGs is $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you play 4-table sets (and assume one set per hour with breaks, etc.) and have 20% ROI at the 55's, you're looking at an hourly total of 55 bucks, plus another 5 with rakeback. That's five hours, 300 dollars. Do that eight hours a day, five days a week, 52 weeks a year...and you're looking at just under 125k/year.

By comparison, playing "small value" MTT's seems like it would be comparatively -EV in the short run.

On the other hand, if you're using the small value MTT's to improve your skills and move up to being a successful higher buy-in MTT player (at which you may very well earn 500k/year)...then it may be long-run +EV.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:35 PM

I think posters here don't replace eight SnGs with one MTT. It is not that complicated to replace two of the SnGs with one MTT. So the loss in earnings shouldn't be that dramatic.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you have 20% roi at the 55's, then your profit in 5 hrs of SnGs is $50.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you play 4-table sets (and assume one set per hour with breaks, etc.) and have 20% ROI at the 55's, you're looking at an hourly total of 55 bucks, plus another 5 with rakeback. That's five hours, 300 dollars. Do that eight hours a day, five days a week, 52 weeks a year...and you're looking at just under 125k/year.

By comparison, playing "small value" MTT's seems like it would be comparatively -EV in the short run.

On the other hand, if you're using the small value MTT's to improve your skills and move up to being a successful higher buy-in MTT player (at which you may very well earn 500k/year)...then it may be long-run +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually....4x$55 = $220 x.20 = $44 + $5rakeback = $49/hour.

Playing 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 52 weeks would get u $101,920.

Wow...i just realized how much money there is to be made in poker for a winning player.