Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM

Default \"No Set No Bet\"

All right, I realize that there's a philosophy of "no set no bet" around here, but I thought this was a clear exception.

1) Are tens ok to raise from late position with 1 limper? This seemed like a weak enough field to make a raise OK. Would I at least raise JJ?
2) Nobody at the $11s pushes when they hit trips, so I have to put the guy on a 9 or a pair (higher or lower ionno). I think that makes this a call (even though one of the hands he likely has hits the turn). Standard exception or "no set no bet?"

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t340)
MP1 (t1575)
MP2 (t1515)
Hero (t860)
Button (t645)
SB (t625)
BB (t265)
UTG (t2175)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t105, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 folds.

Flop: (t300) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls t505.

Turn: (t805) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t805) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t805
Old 07-20-2005, 09:36 AM

Default Re: \"No Set No Bet\"

That is a near perfect board for you. I would have a very hard time folding to that push.

The safe play is just calling from the CO but I think the raise is fine with position.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All right, I realize that there's a philosophy of "no set no bet" around here, but I thought this was a clear exception.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must have missed that meeting.

Seriously, I think that applies to small pairs in multiway pots where you don't have the lead (and the board is kind of scary).

Don't get me wrong, I divorce a lot of small pairs in raised and unraised pots even where no one is showing any interest, but there are a lot of times where either:
1. You have reason to believe your hand is good but vulnerable
2. You think you can move your opponent off a better hand

Here you have a great hand post flop. SB makes a very suspicious push which is begging you to fold. Easy call. If he turns out to be the type who would take the lead and push with a K here, note it.

He could easily have a 9 or a hand like 77 (people play weird). He could also be on a stone bluff, or just be misplaying a hand like AA/QQ/JJ (in which case it sucks to be you.) (though again, open pushing hands like this may not be misplaying them, if he has reason to believe you will look him up with a worse hand since his bet looks like it wants you to fold, which should make you want to call.... but I don't know that people think that deeply in these things. I know I don't have time to, so I just play erratic, err, I mean, mix up my game and play hands in different ways...)
Old 07-20-2005, 10:13 AM

With your preflop raise, it's quite possible he does that with a king to overbet it.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All right, I realize that there's a philosophy of "no set no bet" around here

[/ QUOTE ]

No there isn't.

eastbay
Old 07-20-2005, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No there isn't.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is; in the sense that it exists, not in the sense that it's correct or that good players adhere to it.

Though I suppose that's what you meant.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Usually I apply the "play for set value" advice in multiway pots early on with weaker hands. None of these conditions really apply here so I ignore it, but felt like I needed to raise the issue for my own clarification. Sounds like it's not as solid a rule as I thought I was hearing. So I really need to qualify the situation based on position, number of opponents, strength of pair and texture of board?

I've also been put under the impression that TT and JJ are much weaker than I originally thought. Clearly they have strength on this flop, but what about preflop, given the timimdity of the table?
Old 07-20-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No there isn't.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is; in the sense that it exists, not in the sense that it's correct or that good players adhere to it.

Though I suppose that's what you meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you could also say "I know there's a philosophy of misplaying AK, playing too loose early, etc." because someone thinks just about everything. In which case pointing it out is kind of silly.

But I think what he meant was that there was a consensus, or a conventional wisdom about "no set, no bet." I don't agree.

eastbay
Old 07-20-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But I think what he meant was that there was a consensus, or a conventional wisdom about "no set, no bet." I don't agree.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. Actually there are many players here who adhere to a "no set no bet philosophy". But none of the best players are in that group. (If the previous sentences weren't true I wouldn't have replied in the first place).
Old 07-20-2005, 10:59 AM

A lot of the thinking about JJ and TT, which stemmed from AleoMagus' "How to beat the Party $10+1s" classic has changed since the arrival of Harrington on Hold Em. Harrington advocates protecting JJ and TT in your situation with a larger than normal bet in late position, which is almost what you did. A raise to about 150-200 would be more along the lines of his thinking for an online tourney. I think your call is a good one on the flop, as he probably has A9, T9 or 98, a smaller pair or is bluffing with AQ. As previously noted, if he has AK or KQ, you call and take a note that he makes this play.