Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Battle of the blinds, flop a set on single-suited board - $33

***** Hand History for Game 2367655538 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $30 Buy-in + $3 Entry Fee Trny:13953669 Level:2 Blinds(15/30) - Friday, July 15, 12:36:03 EDT 2005
Table Table 11788 (Real Money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 7
Seat 4: n1507l ( $730 )
Seat 5: gratz55 ( $665 )
Seat 6: UNCLEGE ( $1535 )
Seat 9: pattywack85 ( $760 )
Seat 10: bacwood2 ( $775 )
Seat 2: Mr_Samosa ( $1690 )
Seat 7: jprsales ( $1845 )
Trny:13953669 Level:2
Blinds(15/30)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to pattywack85 [ 5s 5h ]
bacwood2 folds.
Mr_Samosa folds.
n1507l folds.
gratz55 folds.
UNCLEGE folds.
jprsales calls [15].
pattywack85 checks.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5d, Jd, 9d ]
jprsales bets [30].
pattywack85 calls [30].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ts ]
jprsales bets [100].
pattywack85 raises [325].
jprsales calls [225].
** Dealing River ** [ 7c ]
jprsales checks.
pattywack85 checks.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Battle of the blinds, flop a set on single-suited board - $33

I'm assuming what you're thinking is that no single diamond is going to pay you off on the end here, unless you get lucky and he has Jx-Xd. So the only hands that call a push here have you beat. Which is probably right.

I dunno though. Not much has you beat here. And especially not much has you beat here that would risk a check through on the river in the event that you were on a(n aggressively played) diamond draw. I think I bet it. Which of course is a push here.

I think it's close.

edit: oh, i forgot to mention: why the call on the flop? were you thinking that you wouldn't be able to push him off a diamond regardless, so you may as well wait for a blank turn to fire out on? just wondering what your thought process was.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:01 PM

I'm not checking behind on this river.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:39 PM

I just called on the flop cause I didn't really see what a raise would do for me. If he comes over the top, am I beat? Who knows...but I'm not layin down a set heads up in the blinds. I'd also prefer to see what the turn is - if it's another diamond, I can get out cheap. If not, hopefully he bets and I can pop it and maybe get some more chips out of it.

My opponent should know with my turn raise that I'm committed to the hand. If he reraises me all-in, I'm obviously calling. If he just calls, it's far more likely he's on a draw or has me beat at this point. I can't see him calling this bet drawing dead, unless he intends to bluff a river diamond. He's getting less than 2-1 on his call here, so he makes a mistake by drawing. Plus I've said I'm willing to play for my stack, so if he wants to come over and gamble, so be it.

I see no point in betting the river at all. That board is just way too ugly for someone to call with a hand that doesn't have me beat, if I push. Which is what I'd do, given the size of the pot. I think I get called only by better hands, so I don't stand to gain anything by betting.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:43 PM

Even though the turn card was scary, I would have given serious thought to pushing there. Since you didn't push the turn, I like the river check.

Did you consider pushing the turn?
Old 07-15-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see no point in betting the river at all. That board is just way too ugly for someone to call with a hand that doesn't have me beat, if I push. Which is what I'd do, given the size of the pot. I think I get called only by better hands, so I don't stand to gain anything by betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be giving the average 33s player too much credit. He could have something wierd like J8 which has you beat, or be slowplaying a flush (any reads?).
Old 07-15-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be giving the average 33s player too much credit. He could have something wierd like J8 which has you beat, or be slowplaying a flush (any reads?).

[/ QUOTE ]
Looks to me like we're saying the same thing...I said I checked behind on the river because he could easily have J8, A8, or basically 8x with a diamond. Or he could be slowplaying a flush.

Any hands I can beat will fold to my all-in. I only get called by a better hand, so there's no point in betting, cause I can never win extra chips, and can only bust.

45suited: I did consider pushing the turn, but I thought a raise to 325 would be just as effective in getting a drawer out as pushing. If he just calls, I have a few more options, and I can choose what I want to do on the river.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:26 PM

I just wanted to add in that I raise pf
Old 07-15-2005, 02:34 PM

Raise the flop.

The chances of him having a single heart are several times greater than him having two. Plus, you have that whole re-draw to the boat thing going for you. Build yourself a pot while he's drawing.

The odds of him having two hearts here are like 4%. The odds of him having a single heart are closer to 35%. Assume the latter.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:37 PM

I realize it's a lot less likely that he flopped a flush. I discussed my reasons for waiting until the turn to raise in my above posts. If what I said isn't clear, let me know, and I'll try to explain myself better.