Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Video Card Hell

I have a XFX GeForce 6600 Dual DVI card, and it keeps shutting down my system, usually waiting until I have 4 tables open with a flopped FH.

When it restarts, I get a browser window that says "error caused by NVIDIA Graphics driver: no specific solution found". I've reinstalled drivers from the website twice, to no avail.

I've submitted a support issue through the website, and called their support line, where I keep getting an answering machine. No responses from either.

I bought the card from NewEgg, do I go to them at this point?
Old 07-15-2005, 12:34 AM

Default Re: Video Card Hell

FFR man.

In case you're not familiar with microsoft tech support parlance, it stands for:

FDISK, Format, Reinstall.

I suspect you probably installed the card without a clean install of windows.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:20 AM

FDISK is a thing of the past, don't use that. Use the built in tool in the setup when you install windows.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:12 AM

Did you uninstall your old card's drivers before the upgrade. If not, check the Add/Remove Programs section in the Control Panel for anything related to your old card. It could be that those drivers are butting-heads with your new ones.

Even if you don't find an entry for the old drivers in the Control Panel, if there is a chance that you didn't uninstall them already, I would: Uninstall your current drivers, shut off, and uninstall card. Reinstall your old card, boot up, and reinstall old drivers. Uninstall those drivers and card again. Reinstall new card and drivers again. ...and pray!

It is a little work, but nothing compared to 36 hours of backing up files, reinstalling your entire operating system, printer, scanner, software, etc.
Old 07-16-2005, 08:30 PM

You be surprised if you do a fresh clean format, how sometimes it will fix all the problems. Sounds radical, but sometimes it really does work.
Old 07-17-2005, 08:58 PM

Get a copy of Driver cleaner pro, read the instructions (very important). This little freeware tool fixes everything. Un-install your video drivers, reboot, then reboot again into safe mode. Run the app, and it will remove any remnants of old video drivers which may clog up the system for you. Reboot, and reinstall the drivers.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 AM

aye, if nothing works a fresh reformat of your hard drive will work wonders. i had issues with my new vid card and nuking and paving fixed everything =D