Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 07-13-2005, 10:50 PM

Default AQ

All right, tried to use the converter fix, but with limited sucess; what it leaves out is the fact that on the turn, it's checked to me, I pot it, everyone calls till SB pushes, I call and so does everyone else. (FIRST HAND!) I actually have the best hand on the turn (well...I'm chopping with the SB, we then lose to the 9 which completes the Button's straight), BUT, I know I went too far with the hand, but just don't know where I should have stoped (preflop most likely). I'm never too fancy with AQ, and will often fold preflop on level one, but here I limped and then faced this small raise and I went with it (bad move). Then when I pot on the turn it and it's pushed I should assume at least QT, trips or an overpair? (not actually the case here, but I should generally not trust top pair, right).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

SB (t800)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t15, CO calls t15, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t50</font>, SB calls t40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t35, MP3 calls t35, CO calls t35.

Flop: (t262.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t262.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

River: (t262.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Final Pot: t262.50 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM

Default Re: AQ

Hmm...AQ is the hardest hand to play properly on the early levels of SnG's, IMO. I do think I'm folding to an all-in in the situation you describe...though it wasn't in this case, this move early on just wreaks of a slowplayed overpair or set of tens by the Button. It'd be difficult, but you've got LOTS of time here...lay it down and pick a better spot.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:14 PM

Yeah, this analysis came effortlessly after I was out [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], but I still wonder about a) limping in the first place, b) calling any reraise so early (not the push, the PF raise to 50, it just seems like I'm gonna have to really connect with the flop to have the confidence I'll need to bet, should I muck PF and just be patient, or is that too tight?)
Old 07-13-2005, 11:17 PM

Well, I dunno. I do usually stay away from AQ EP in early stages...but that's because I don't feel I'm necessarily experienced enough yet for it to be +EV. However, once you've limped (and you are suited, so it doesn't seem like a bad limp)...I think you do have to call that raise. Not much more to see a flop at that point, and lots of callers in if you do hit what you need.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Why did you limp?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 PM

Short answer is because I have a vastly incomplete understanding of this game [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Long answer is: I've been warned about getting too excited with AQ and AJ, hands that look good but beg to get you into trouble. Now that I look at it, if I'm opening in midposition I need to be raising, but I had trouble convincing myself not to just fold (I try to be really tight in the first few levels, but I overdo it. AJ, AQ, KQ are hands I often fold even though I think I need to be playing them). Would you advise raising to say, 4BB (just 60 chips) or more? (Or was "why did you limp" to be interpreted as "fold, duh"?)