Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 07-10-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Viewing Videos

I've found that some videos will not allow me to fast-forward / pick a spot at which I want to start viewing, but others will, even videos with the same file extensions.

I've noticed this in .asx and .wmv files.

(P.S. One of my gripes with windows is that it will not separate .wma's and .mp3's if you attempt to sort by file type... the f'ing bastards know that you'll delete them if it's easy to do, so they've manipulated their O/S to give their proprietary (?) formats an advantage...)

Anyways, is there a video suite out there that's free that will play videos more fluidly, even when there's corruption in the file (is that one of the things that will cause this to occur?), or when the video attempts to specify that you can't fast forward (is that possible?).

Why is this happening and what can I do?

--Dave.
Old 07-10-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Viewing Videos

I have no idea what causes this. I have wondered myself. My guess is that it uses a different codec. I downloaded the K-lite Codec Pack with Media Player Classic and it played the vids fine and allowed me to fast forward and rewind even though Windows Media Player would not allow this. I think that this is the site I got it from: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm
Old 07-10-2005, 05:28 AM

You wouldn't happen to know where I could get k-lite would you? That thing dropped off the net 6 months ago and I haven't been able to find it since reformatting...
Old 07-10-2005, 07:56 PM

media player classic is good, get it from sourceforge.

Another really good one is VLC media player. Stands for Video Lan I think. It will play ANY video. .bin files included.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You wouldn't happen to know where I could get k-lite would you? That thing dropped off the net 6 months ago and I haven't been able to find it since reformatting...

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea. I used KLite++ before BitTorrent took over, but that's been a while. I haven't even really downloaded music in months. I don't even know what the latest and greatest BitTorrent client is or where to get the torrents. The sites I used a few months ago have been shut down (Suprnova and others). A quick google search tells me that I should probably be getting my torrents from IRC (and maybe this was the best way all along?).

[edit]This prompted me to do some searching. I am about to try out eXeem which is sort of a decentralized version of Bittorrent, apparently. It was written by the people behind Suprnova.org. Looks promising.[/edit]