Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2003, 03:56 AM

Default Kingdom of Fear - HST

Excerpt from the "Author's Preface" to Hunter Tompson's new book - Kingdom of Fear:

"I like this book, and I especially like the title, which pretty well sums up the foul nature of the U.S.A. in these few bloody years of the post-American century. Only a fool or a whore would call it anything else.

It would be easy to say that we owe it all the the Bush family from Texas, but that would be too simplistic. They are only errand boys for the vengeful, bloodthirsty cartel of raving Jesus-freaks and super-rich money mongers who have ruled this country for at least the last 20 years, and arguably for the past 200. They take orders well, and they don't ask too many questions.

The real power in America is held by a fast-emerging new Oligarchy of pimps and preachers who see no need for Democracy or fairness or even trees, except maybe the ones in their own yards, and they don't mind admitting it. They worship money and power and death. Their ideal solution to all the nation's problems would be another 100 Year War.

Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.

Ho ho ho. Let's not get carried away here. Freedom was yesterday in this country. Its value has been discounted. The only freedom we truly crave today is freedom from Dumbness. Nothing else matters."

Peppery and to the point. As is usually with this guy. I claim no aderence to his point of view but it is good writing and as always, humorous.

I would add though that the U.S.A is not the only Kingdom of Fear in the world. Indeed, it is the all the individual Kingdoms of Fear that infest this spinning orb of rock that make it what it is: - a cesspool of ignorance and intolerance, maintained by propaganda and superstition.

Shalom,

-Zeno
Old 02-09-2003, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Kingdom of Fear - HST

I skimmed some of the book in a bookstore and kind of liked it. I might read the whole thing. I particularly liked the bit about standing up to the FBI agents in the awful Hoover years. Hilarious.

P.S. I particularly like the last part of your post.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:13 PM

?????? If there's one thing HST has NEVER been, its "to the point". [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2003, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Kingdom of Fear - - a true story!

I have postponed some other reading I had lined up to start Kingdom of Fear. It is sort of autobiographical. Very good. It is worth reading.

By the way, the FBI as a dossier on me. Something to do with what I work on, sometimes. They ask many annoying questions.

But I did have a run-in with these Federal thugs about 12 years ago. Just at the start of my "respectable period" which still continues to this day.

The set up:
I was "unemployed" at the time getting paid under the table for making fiberglass septic tanks in a backyard business. I came home from work smelly of odd chemicals with my jeans and shoes covered with resin and thin glass strands. I was wearing some wrap-around, dark shades and ambling toward my apartment, in the whore infested part of the city, when two large G-men scooted out from some nearby trees and request an audience with me.

The confrontation, as best as I can remember it went as follows:

FBI Goon(s): "Hell-o we're from the FBI, were are you going and what are you doing? "

Suspected menace to society (me):

"Who wants to know?" I turn completely around and face two men. One is a gorilla, sharply dress in dark suit and tie with some combat shooting sunglasses plastered acrossed his square head. The other one is similarly attired with same sunglasses, a bit shorter, and apparently the brains of the outfitted. He did all the talking.

FBI Goon #1: "There has been a bank robbery at the Bank of America on Central (this was only 2 blocks from my abode) that occurred only a few hours ago. Have you seen anything or anyone suspicious?"

Suspected menace to society (me):

I say nothing and start looking both these guys over from top to bottom. No joke - black gumshoes on both goons. At this point FBI Goon #2 (gorilla man) moves closer to me and infringes on my personal space. I stand my ground. I may be small but I was not going to let these maggots intimidate me.

FBI Goon #1 says, "I guess we should show you some identification." He reachs in his jacket and pulls out a small black leather "book", about the size of a checkbook, and flips it open for me to observe. Small bronze sissy-size badge on one side and offical looking written gibberish on the other half. I glance and it and figure that I can have the same thing made in Juarez for about $200 americano. In the back of my mine I thought, with outfits like that; I don't really need to see the ID.

I then say quite firmly: "I just got off work and am heading to my apartment. I point to the door of my humble abode, only about 20 feet away. I haven't seen anyone or anything as I just got home." I stare at the two men and say nothing else. Goon # 1 then says, " Well if you see anyone suspicious or hear anything please call us at this number." He then hands me his card with his name on it and the local FBI address and phone number. I grab it and head toward my door. The Goons stand and stare the entire time I get my keys out, enter etc. I calmly shut the door and toss the card on the kitchen counter. When my wife (now ex-wife) got home she was all upset that I hadn't been more "cooperative". I flat told her that as long as no real violence was done, I was all for someone robbing the f**king Bank of America. She always had proplems with my contempt for authority. But not any more.

This is a true story HDPM. I am a scientist, trained in observation skills and I have a good memory. By the way, I know the ID's were real. I've seen many of them since this encounter. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno

Old 02-10-2003, 11:52 PM

HST never been to the point? Well, Mr. Murphy - That is the point! [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 02-11-2003, 12:09 AM

"We decided to drive to Vegas. When we got there we checked into our hotel."

"Ed Muskie ran a very poor campaign in the 1972 Democratic presidential primaries, allowing the well-organized George McGovern team to surprisingly win the nomination."

[img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]