Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-22-2001, 10:35 PM

Default Vince

What is the KISS principle you described in your post on another forum ? Thanks.

Mark
Old 08-23-2001, 12:10 AM

Default Re: Vince

Im not Vince, but KISS stands for Keep It Simple Stupid.
Old 08-23-2001, 09:28 AM

Or, better yet, "Keep It Simple, Stupid."

Not just nitpicking, but without the comma, it may sound like "simple stupid" is a single concept. With the comma, it's clear you're saying something akin to "Hey, Stupid, Keep It Simple!"

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-23-2001, 09:55 AM

Greg

Thanks for explaining the comma principle. It's nice when people use these things correctly and therefore it is clear to all what they are trying to say.

Could you please explain the principles of using an apostrophe (which is MUCH more highly misused, and bugs me to death!!!).

Dave in Cali
Old 08-23-2001, 10:53 AM

What is that concept? Would an example be when I make a mistake in poker by overlooking something extremely obvious? Does that qualify as a Simple Stupid mistake?

I let a guy check-raise me on the Turn recently when it should have been obvious that he was putting on a big act in the hopes that I would bet. I think it was obvious to anyone at the table who was paying attention. But I was tired and held top set on a board of Jd Th 9d. He check-raised the Flop. I called. The Turn was an Ace. He made a big deal (for him) of inspecting the board closely before betting but in my tired stupor I almost ignored this and bet anyway. Anyone with half a brain should have known he was putting on an act. Paid him off on the River too. He held the KdQd. Nice job M, I guess that was pretty Simple Stupid.
Old 08-23-2001, 10:58 AM

Dave,

That's a qiestion for John Cole.

Mary.

Mary
Old 08-23-2001, 11:16 AM

Default apostrophes

Apostrophes are used in contractions to replace letters that have been omitted for brevity. cannot becomes can't, do not becomes don't.

Apostrophes are used to show possession. That cat's meow. The button's hole cards. Stella's groove. One notable exception is the word its. "Its" is ALWAYS possessive, "it's" ALWAYS means it is.

When an s has been added to a word to make it plural the apostrophe follows the "s" to show a possessive plural such as the girls' locker room. Of course it could be the girl's locker room but then it is a locker room for only one girl.

An interesting misuse of an apostrophe shows up in print all the time. How many cards have four spots? There are four 4's in a deck. The apostrophe here is wrong and it should be 4s.
Old 08-23-2001, 12:33 PM

Default Re: apostrophes

You wrote: "There are four 4's in a deck. The apostrophe here is wrong and it should be 4s."

I have been making the mistake above and I'm pretty sure I picked it up reading the forum. Thanks for clearing this up.

Regards,

Rick

PS Is it PS like this or is it

P.S. like this?

Old 08-23-2001, 12:50 PM

Default Re: apostrophes

Sammy,

Actually, the apostrophe is used with numbers and letters to form the plural, but it isn't used with dates. "Four A's and three 4's" is the correct use; however, the "1930's" is wrong and should be written as "1930s."

John
Old 08-23-2001, 12:54 PM

Default Oops; above post from me

a