Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 12:59 AM

Default I want to learn chess.

Like BusterStacks, I want to learn to play chess this summer.

I've always "played" chess occassionally for fun with friends. But I've never developed any particular strategy or deep understanding for the game.

I now want to change that. I don't want to become a pro, just a good player who can beat all the 'general public.'

Anyway, I just went to Chapter's tonight and picked up "First Chess Openings" by Eric Schiller. Seemed basic enough to start with. Anyone know this book, or any other good resources?

I'll close with this for now: Perhaps I'm wrong, but from my current understanding of chess, it is a game of complete information (unlike poker). If I lose any particular game, it's my fault - whereas a losing session in poker could simply be due to variance even though all decisions have been +EV. I'm intrigued by the possibility of having "full control" over one's destiny in this game.

Adam
Old 06-26-2005, 01:07 AM

Default Re: I want to learn chess.

Just learn a very basic opening for black and white. Then focus on all tactics. Tactics are the heart of chess and will allow you to easily crush any of your neophyte friends. The more experienced guys will be able to recommend some good tactics books.

My personal recommendation is don't get too involved in the game. There's just way too much memorization and boring crap involved in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just learn a very basic opening for black and white.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a personal fan of the 4-move checkmate. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2005, 01:17 AM

Adam,

Lots of books out there, lots of websites. I like Chesscafe.com, read Dan Heisman's Novice's Nook column, including all the archives. Seriously. There are many good books. Lots of players like to dog SChiller, because he has put out some really crappy books, but I personally have found some of his books I Really like. For a first book, logical chess move by move by Irving Chernev is excellent. Dont worry too much about openings right now. Lots of beginners make this mistake. You also need a good book on tactical motifs, I think that Yasser Seirwan's Winning Chess Tactics is a great one to start with. Learning the basic tactical motifs and then doing problems is simply the best way to start off as a beginner.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I'm wrong, but from my current understanding of chess, it is a game of complete information (unlike poker). If I lose any particular game, it's my fault - whereas a losing session in poker could simply be due to variance even though all decisions have been +EV. I'm intrigued by the possibility of having "full control" over one's destiny in this game

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is a game of complete information in the sense that you know exactly what the balance of power is between you and your opponent. But you still have to be anticipate your opponents range of moves, which ones he is most likely to make, etc. And be aware, there is little to no sucking out in chess. The greater the distance between your rating and another players, the lesser chance you are going to luck into a win.

For practice, you can play on the Free Internet Chess Server or at the ICC (I forget what the initials stand for). FICS is free, ICC isnt unless you play anonymous. Stay away from Yahoo chess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Hope this helps, good luck, chess is a very fun game.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stay away from Yahoo chess [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

just curious...why??
Old 06-26-2005, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My personal recommendation is don't get too involved in the game. There's just way too much memorization and boring crap involved in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no reason that a player that practices tactics regularly and understands basic opening principles cant push his rating to around 1800 or so (playing online). There is no need to get into memorizing opening lines up to that point. I should add that you should know some basic endgames as well, but those dont require much memorization.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:21 AM

Filled with cheaters and rude kids. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I will say that I used it from time to time to practice opening lines but you can get all you need playing on FICS or ICC.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cheaters

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one cheat at chess?

Adam
Old 06-26-2005, 01:29 AM

thanks for the excellent and comprehensive reply.

(I may have further questions for you down the road. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])

Adam
Old 06-26-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cheaters

[/ QUOTE ]

How does one cheat at chess?

Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing I can think of in my use of Yahoo Chess is that a great number of players will quit a game in order to avoid an actual loss, and maybe harass you if you don't accept their draw offers when they're way behind. Not cheating, but definitely annoying.