Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 03:01 AM

Default The Non-Stop Smell of Wildfires

During the last two days here in Las Vegas, you can't step outside with noticing the smell of up to 32 fires burning in Southern Nevada. It actually smells kind of good- sort of like your neighbor has started up a BBQ.

Has anybody else lived close to wildfires (hopefully without being threatened by them)?

If you're interested in the wildfire story, here it is.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: The Non-Stop Smell of Wildfires

we get them in southern OR every year. I was around them one summer for work and it was quite intense. I remember the freeway being shut down on two occasions and hoping that out hotel wasn't in the path.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:14 AM

I ran a chainsaw on fire crew for 5 years. best job I ever had. Fought fires in WA, ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, AZ, NM, FL, KY, NV, CA, OR, Alberta and Ontario. Best job I ever had but I didn't realize it at the time.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:18 AM

I lived in Motana from Aug 2000 till May 2001. Montana had some horrible wild fires during the summer of 2000, and I thought the smell was horrible. Hurt your sinuses and nostrils.
Old 06-25-2005, 03:35 AM

We had some in Guam where I spent a lot of my growing up years. Our idiot neighbors actually set them on purpose because they were too lazy to beat back the sawgrass. They also cooked and generally made fires outside a lot and that would sometimes get out of control too. They were complete idiots. A few times the fire got pretty close to our house and my family and I had to water down around the house, on the roof, etc. Stuff grows so fast in the real hot tropics that there's always stuff to burn around, and always encroaching. It was a little scary once or twice.

A lot of people in California have been exposed to a lot of wildfire worries. There are laws about how close you can let trees get to your house, etc. It can be pretty scary for them every single year, during the dry season. I've always lived in the city here in L.A., so it's never really been a concern of mine, though I've had fire in pretty close apartment buildings once or twice. But fires are a real threat to some parts of L.A.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:30 AM

all the time around here in montana. my main house and a vacation one are in the woods in prone areas. the forest service spends the majority of their fire fighting money for protecting homes for people that build in the woods so the insurance companies can keep their losses down. you pay for it.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you pay for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

in billions......

However, most fire experts agree that, because of fuel types and loadings, topography, and temporary weather conditions (lasting a few hours to several weeks), some fires simply cannot be stopped and some cannot even be influenced. Substantial funds are spent on efforts to suppress what are uncontrollable wildfires. Such efforts contribute to the belief in our ability to stop all wildfires, and lead the public to believe that damages from wildfires only occur because of the Government has been inefficient and ineffective .

http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRSrep...TOKEN=47075822
Old 06-25-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It actually smells kind of good- sort of like your neighbor has started up a BBQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it does. Until my asthma kicks in.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:50 PM

it looks like someone dropped bombs in the hills though...scary looking around here...
Old 06-25-2005, 03:48 PM

I love the smell of wildfires in the morning.