Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Bartending

The parents want me to get a part-time job and not just play poker for income, bonus they said they'd pay my car insurance for me if I did. So I was thinking becoming a bartender would be a great job for a 20 year old college guy. And the way it works in Wisconsin, I can have my license by the end of the day if I want. My question is for those of you who have been a bartender before, what are some of the pros and cons of the job? and does this sound like a good idea for me?
Old 06-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Bartending

I am guessing you have to be 21 to be a bartender in Wisconsin.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:34 PM

Let me tell you right now that you shouldn't get your hopes up about getting right into a bartender position. You'll probably be barback/busboy/bitch for a while first before they move you up to bartender. Maybe you'll get lucky and get in at some small place that'll put you right in with someone else while you learn, but I'd expect to work my way into it if I were you.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 06-23-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure you only have to be 18 to serve alcohol.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:37 PM

Bartending rocks. That said, it's really difficult (read: impossible)for a 20 year old to walk into a bartending job without experience. What you're probably gonna have to do is wait tables at like Bennigans's or somesuch, work your way up to bartender. Good luck to ya.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:39 PM

I tended bar in Wisconsin for 5 years. Unfortunately, I never tended any place fun.

While I was in Madison, I tended at a small, quiet hotel. Pro's: I could study at work or play darts when it was slow. Cons: It was usually slow, so tips sucked ass.

In Appleton, I tended bar at a supper club.
Pro's: Plenty of work. Free food. Free drinks (while working). Cons: Tips were split among everyone. You get damn sick and tired of hearing the same wedding songs / bands / games.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me tell you right now that you shouldn't get your hopes up about getting right into a bartender position. You'll probably be barback/busboy/bitch for a while first before they move you up to bartender. Maybe you'll get lucky and get in at some small place that'll put you right in with someone else while you learn, but I'd expect to work my way into it if I were you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably correct. I barebacked and worked the door for about 6 months before I moved to being a bartender. One thing that people neglect to realize is that when you friends are out getting bombed you are working (if you want to make the best tips). Friday and Saturday nights are the best times to make money. Also, You are going to work from 5 to 2am, and when you get home you are going to be tired. When is the best time of the day for you to play poker?
Old 06-23-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably correct. I barebacked and worked the door for about 6 months before I moved to being a bartender.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slip? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is probably correct. I barebacked and worked the door for about 6 months before I moved to being a bartender.

[/ QUOTE ]

TOTD (Typo Of The Day).

(edit: damn, beaten to the punch)