Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Hard drive backup Question

I want to install Window XP Pro Corporate edition, but my comp won't let me (says it's an older version that what is on my comp already, which is Win XP Home SP2). So, I guess I will have to do a 'clean' install.

My question is, can i backup my entire C: onto an external hard drive, and save all my programs, and then just transfer them all over after I do the clean install? And if so, are there any good free backup programs out there or is Norton Ghost better for that?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: Hard drive backup Question

The best way to do this is backup your entire C drive. Then reformat.

You sound a bit confused though. You will not be able to "transfer" back your programs. You will need to re-install all the software on your computer after reformatting it. Then once all your programs are re-installed you will need to pick through your backup and find the files you want to bring back in manually.

It doesn't work whatsoever to just backup your c drive, install a new OS, and then copy your backup back onto your c drive.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:59 AM

Ah! thanks krimson, i meant install, not transfer. Any backup programs you recommend?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah! thanks krimson, i meant install, not transfer. Any backup programs you recommend?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused in what you want to do? you want to have the programs already installed when you move them over? you can't do that because of the registery entries required for the programs to run, the program installation automatlically adds registry entries.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Best thing to do is to partition your hard drive with somehting like Partition Magic, then have a dual boot system.

Search for 'dual boot', 'partition', ...