Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 06-18-2005, 10:32 PM

Default What is the difference tween FAT32 and NTFS???

This is in reference to my new Seagate 160 GB external drive I bought to store music. I was having an issue with it and the guy at Seagate said it is currently formatted for FAT32 which can only handle 4gb transfers at a time?? (not true as I transferred a ton of music way over 4 gb in one swoop no problem. Anyway, should I reformatt the drive for NTFS?? I did notice my other internal 80gb drive are NTFS. What is the diff??

thanks.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:04 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: What is the difference tween FAT32 and NTFS???

Older versions of Windows used FAT32; NTFS was an improved file system introduced with Windows NT. It includes some more robust security features, protection from file corruption, and other improvements. Windows XP adopted NTFS, but will still work with FAT32 for backward compatibility; if you have no need to share your files with older Windows computers over a network, it's best to use NTFS.

I think the 4GB transfer limit the tech was talking about was for a single file, not multiple files adding up to that.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:06 PM

thanks , I will switch it. Why Seagate would format it in the old style is beyond me.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:12 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

Probably because they don't know what kind of computer it's going into (there are still plenty of systems running Win98 and older), and FAT32 will still work under WinXP anyway. They figure that anyone who knows the difference will format it with NTFS anyway, and those who don't won't care.

-Mike