Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2001, 05:17 AM

Default Bush and Canada

During Bush's speech last night he thanked or commiserated with Britain, France, Germany, South Korea, Egypt, Australia, Africa, Latin America, Pakistan, Israel, India, El Salvador, Iran, Mexico, and Japan.

Conspicuously, no mention of Canada. Wasn't it Canada that landed all the airborne planes that were in potential danger? Wasn't it the Canadians that showed up in droves at the airports to invite the stranded US travellers into their homes? Wasn't it 100,000 Canadians that showed up on Parliament Hill to mourn? Wasn't it Canada that lost more citizens per capita than any other country other than the US?

Then to add insult to injury, he asserts that the US has "no truer friend than Great Britain". Since when is Great Britain a truer friend to the US than Canada?

As a Canadian I was very disappointed by this aspect of his speech.

Old 09-21-2001, 07:04 AM

Default Re: Bush and Canada

There is a tendency to take family for granted. Great Britain may be our best friend, but you're our brother. Please excuse us.
Old 09-21-2001, 11:34 AM

I also noticed this insensitive omission and I was shocked. I have always considered Canade to be our closest friend and a terrific neighbor. I'm sure Cyrus will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that our shared border is the longest shared unmilitarized border in the world. Perhaps Bush didn't say it but i'm sure most of us especially in the north truly appreciate Canad and its wonderful people.

SammyB
Old 09-21-2001, 12:54 PM

I didn't notice it but I did notice the entire poker room I was playing in grind to a halt while everyone watched the speech.

Canada doesn't need international recognition to make us feel better about helping out. And if it comes to a serious war on the level of WWII, you can be sure Canada will be there to help. No question.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:58 PM

Don't you see?!?!?!? This whole thing is simply a pretext for an invasion of Canada to once and for all put it out of its misery and make it the 51st state. Bush (who is noted and revered for his subtelty) was simply hinting at that.

Blame Canada, now and forever.