Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Baby Ace ITM Hand . . .

$11 SNG. This player had been miniraising throughout once the table shrank to 4 and 5 players and whenever he was first to enter the pot. Three of those hands went to showdown---he always called an all-in whenever someone pushed against him---and those three times he showed: A9, AQ, and AK. So I suspect here he had some kind of hand. Is it correct to play A7 here or muck it?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t400 (3 handed) converter

Button (t2970)
SB (t1570)
Hero (t3460)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold, Hero ???</font>
Old 05-21-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Baby Ace ITM Hand . . .

PUUUUSH
Old 05-21-2005, 07:27 PM

pushing a bad ace is this situation is asking to be dominated, IMO, based on your reads of the guy. I'm prejudiced, because i hate pushing bad aces
Old 05-21-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This player had been miniraising throughout once the table shrank to 4 and 5 players and whenever he was first to enter the pot. Three of those hands went to showdown---he always called an all-in whenever someone pushed against him---and those three times he showed: A9, AQ, and AK. So I suspect here he had some kind of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was actually lukcy to showdown those aces. He "couldn't" have had an ace every time he raised, since by your description he was raising regardless of his cards. If we know that he calls 100% of the time when pushed on, I think pushing is mandatory here. However, we likely haven't seen enough of him to know what he does if reraised when he has some piece of cheese.

I lean towards pushing, but can see the logic of calling and playing a flop. Is the $10 swing of increasing our chances at 2nd worth the chip EV we lose out on by passing on this hand? I don't see it, but am open to persuassion.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:06 PM

Push. If he miniraises every hand, it doesn't matter that he's shown down three good hands; he doesn't always have to have one.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:20 PM

My initial post might not have been clear. I did not mean to say that he mini-raised opened every time he had the opportunity to enter the pot first. There were times when he did not and there were other times where someone entered the pot before him and he did not play. So I did not mean to give the impression that he was mini-raising every time it was folded to him in an orbit.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:44 PM

oh in that case well its still a push.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:04 PM

i gotcha. just responding to the other posts.