Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Success @ $20-$50 SNGs--Reflections

Dear Colleagues,

I finally figured out how to beat these things in a consistent way. I have tried a number of strategies over a couple of years, most of which require tight/agg play, and have only been a small winner in the past. Now that I have adapted a new style of play, I am a consistent winner and cash out triple digits checks at least once a month. So here goes:

The key to winning SNGs is to understand that NL holdem is a BACKSIDE game. That is, position is the most important element of the game. I was a tight player in the past, but would look down @ KQs in early/middle position and get excited....My advice: toss it. Most hands like KQs or JTs or something similar will just help you get rid of your chips slowely. Think about it, what is the probability of hitting something that you can take a stand with against 2-3 players behind you when you are holding KQs??? Bottom line, in NLHE drawing hands suck unless you are literally on the button with a suited connector at a non-aggressive table. Those hands are better suited for limit holdem, where drawing with a hand like KQs or JTs or 78s or 33 is +EV. Simply put, in No Limit, these hands will just cost you money...and your chips will slowely but surely find there way to your opponents...which leads me to my next point:

Be Cheap! Just paying to see the flop once or twice seems so harmless, especially when you have a hand like KQ/JTs in EP/MP...But these "seeing the flop" exercises will add up and before you know it you will be in fold/all-in mode because of the size of your stack...

Finally, you will likely need to take 1-2 big risks during the game to make the money. This will be something like pushing from the blinds with KQs or worse when limped to later in the tourney. You will need to get away with this in order to survive to the end. Spend the first few rounds figuring out where to best do this and who to do this against.

Conclusion: Most of the hands that appear "pretty" like KQ/JTs are money pits because the odds that they will be strong enough on the flop to stand the BACKSIDE heat that they will inevitably get are just long shots. You need to be a cheapskate to win SNGs consistently, do not let your chips get away from you. Finally, understand that a risk or two will have to be taken in the later rounds in order to pick up some chips that will lead you to survival.

Ok, tear me up with your comments....

Indiana
Old 05-20-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Success @ $20-$50 SNGs--Reflections

Do you really need this pot?
Lorinda 3:16

Lori
Old 05-20-2005, 10:19 AM

I'd venture a guess that 90% of the posters and 75% of all lurkers here already know all this. Folding KQs from UTG isn't exactly a new concept.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:19 AM

huh?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:20 AM

kyro,

not just UTG, but MP as well...I think that we may know some of this, but it is not being practiced in general.

Indiana
Old 05-20-2005, 10:21 AM

i refuse to respond to anyone who uses some stupid icon when they start their thread. "ooohh!! a spade!"
Old 05-20-2005, 10:22 AM

My point was that your post basically says "play tight early, aggressive late."

Duh?
Old 05-20-2005, 10:29 AM

I thought Lorinda 3:16 was:

Believe in the cards and you shall river quads. Amen
Old 05-20-2005, 10:34 AM

Why are you giving away the secrets of "BACKSIDE heat"? You could have dominated the WSOP with this information.

By explaining this concept to Daniel and Doyle, your advantage over them is now smaller (though still significant).
Old 05-20-2005, 10:43 AM

Umm, isn't this a response? But thanks for straying from your rigorous posting principles to fill us in on your stance on this crucial issue. I'd just found myself contemplating the same thing, and then said to myself, "WWVD?" The answer was then clear: post a snide, contentless reply!