Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-20-2005, 07:29 AM

Default ANY Justification for this Play? Any?

$11 SNG. I hadn't had a hand for a while or any oppty to steal and blinds were just eating me up (I'd have only 570 if I fold and be down to 470 after posting the SB in the next hand). Is there an +EV in pushing or should I have waited for the next hand or two and hope I get a chance to push?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) converter

CO (t1665)
Button (t980)
SB (t870)
Hero (t770)
UTG (t2155)
MP (t1560)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t425</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t770 (All-In)</font>
Old 05-20-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Re: ANY Justification for this Play? Any?

Because of stack sizes, I would dump this and push in the next couple of hands. I would assume seeing as how he has pot commited himself, you have no FE. Any hand he would do this with you are a coinflip with AT BEST.

Later,
Rick
Old 05-20-2005, 07:34 AM

I think it's a bad play: The SB already put in too much, you cant get him fold. So you have to rely on relative hand strength. However K3o is a very very weak hand: Even against random hands it only wins 51% of the time.

Which hand you would need to playback I dont know. Its obviously a mathematical problem, however the answer is not interesting at all and thus nobody cares...

Dont ask me, I dont understand it either.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 AM

He's not gonna fold to the reraise, obviously. Stop-n-Go is better if you think he's stealing without hands.

Edit: I realize now that I'm an idiot.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:40 AM

Actually, I find the mathematics of these kinds of plays very interesting. But, like you, it is hard for my brain to make these calcuations and use them to guide my play.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's not gonna fold to the reraise, obviously. Stop-n-Go is better if you think he's stealing without hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you plan on stopping and going OOP?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you plan on stopping and going OOP?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very good point. It's late for me.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:09 AM

It's not that the answer is uninteresting. It's just impossible to give an accurate answer. No reads are given. How has SB been playing? If you put SB on any 2, then according to Eastbay's tool this is a call. But if you give him any standards at all, K2o is a fold. You can't do a math problem if all information is not given. Even if it were, every situation is differant. Do you really expect this group to sit around and hand out EV push/fold calculations all day long?
Buy Eastbay's Tool. Play around with Eastbay's tool. It's worth it. (Man I feel so dirty. We have got to come up with a LESS VULGAR name for this thing).

Later,
Rick
Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 AM

I already have Eastbays tool. As far as I know it does not support things like pushing against limpers / raisers. It only supports open-push + call all-in. If it did support this, I would never ask here. I only need the formula then I can write some small calculation prog myself for these situations.

And I dont want an accurate answer, thats never possible in Poker. But I think even without any reads its easy to narrow down SB's raising range to a degree that every mathematical result is not to far away from the correct move.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:17 AM

You are right, but (isn't there always a but) in this case, I myself, would consider this a push by small blind. So I would use the call settings. This guy is not folding, so you are calling a push. Does anyone disagree with this?

Later,
Rick