Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Default When, and with what to take a stand?

$10+1. UTG was extremely loose and passive. He has shown down K3s and T6s at different times.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) converter

BB (t870)
UTG (t1040)
MP1 (t2855)
MP2 (t785)
Hero (t475)
Button (t1145)
SB (t830)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls t100, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB checks.

I'm getting pretty low on chips, but this is only the second hand of level 4, QJo is not a hand I want to be called with, and there is a limper (although an extremely loose one who has limp-folded to raise behind).

Should I have taken my stand here?
Old 05-19-2005, 07:24 PM

Default Re: When, and with what to take a stand?

I think you have to make a stand before you get the BB. However imo this hand is borderline but closer to a push and I'd probably wouldn't be happy either way. Out of curiosity, what hands would be a definte push for you in this situation?
Old 05-20-2005, 08:54 PM

I guess thats kind of what I'm asking. With nobody in the pot yet, I'm probably thinking Ax, Kx, Qx, and any pair. With a limper (even a loose one) i'm guessing he may have any 2 suited cards or the same things that i'm pushing here, so my thinking at the time was probably to push A7+, 77+ here. But that range seems like it may have been too tight.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:22 PM

I'm pushing here. Your stack blows. You are going to have to steal like 5 times before the blinds go up to 100/200, and even then your stack will be only 5xBB.

In a 10/1, you aren't going to steal 5 times without getting called. Take your chances here.

If they fold, you win 250. If not, I'll take my chances with 2 face cards. You need to get lucky to cash here, so you might as well start now.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:32 PM

You are incredibly low on chips. I push fully expecting to get called and be in a coin-flip situation. You're 7 handed in level 4, and I think some luck is going to be in order if you don't want to get blinded out of this thing.

However, me no do math too good, so if someone could do an ICM w/ EB I'd be curious about the call if you give Villain an incredibly loose calling range.