Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: Where do you get most of your money?
SNG 12 8.00%
Ring Games 138 92.00%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 PM

Default 3 way ITM

What's your move here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (3 handed) converter

Button (t2010)
UTG (t4395)
Hero (t1595)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t800</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero...

Converter is a little messed up. There is no SB in this hand. Hope I've fixed it right.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: 3 way ITM

people play week acaes constantly, you don't exactly have a strong one.

He could have a pocket pair above 6 and you're drawing to 3 cards.

FOLD, steal his blinds ons the next hand
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 PM

I think I fold this and push any two next hand from the SB (if folded to me) or the following hand when you get the button. Needless to say it's an easy call for him when you push. I've made this exact same play from the button, praying that SB doesn't come over the top of me. Which brings me to a quick question which range of hands would you push w/ from the SB in this situation?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:32 PM

He needs a slightly better hand to raise without an SB than normal. The question would be whether he knows that.

I probably fold.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:36 PM

Since you're first to act on the flop, this is a pretty good situation for a stop and go. In fact, if you are going to play it, you definitely need to do a stop and go. It would be a mistake to do anything else.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He needs a slightly better hand to raise without an SB than normal. The question would be whether he knows that.

[/ QUOTE ]

My other question is whether he knows that he should be calling if Scuba comes over the top. If he's been mostly pushing but then pulls this out, then I'm sure that he does and I muck. If he's been making just under 3 BB raises for 40% of his stack with any frequency in the late game, then I'm not convinced that he knows his way around a shortstack and I push over the top expecting to have some folding equity. I think a lot of the time his hand is going to be Q9 and the like anyway, but having some folding equity is nice.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:31 PM

The 800 bet has me confused. As the other posts have already mentioned, this becomes very read dependent. I can tell you what an 800 chip bet would mean from me at this point: I have a big hand, I think you'll fold if I push, but you might call/raise a bet.

I play the $11's, though, and honestly would have no idea what it would mean from one of my typical opponents. If he seemed to be one of the minority of people who seem to know what they're doing I'd put him on a range of something like AT+ and 99+ and fold. If he seems weak then I'm golden here, because I think I either have a lot of folding equity if I reraise all-in or will be in good shape against his range of hands. I wouldn't play a stop and go here, though, because I want him to have to make his decision before he sees whether or not he pairs his KQ or whatever crap he has before he puts the rest of his stack in.

As for wondering if he knows he needs a better hand to raise with because there's no small blind, it also matters if you think he knows that you know that. Because if he does, he should be pushing any 2.

Good hand. I'm going to have to remember to run the numbers on this one when I get home this evening.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for wondering if he knows he needs a better hand to raise with because there's no small blind, it also matters if you think he knows that you know that. Because if he does, he should be pushing any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this kind of thinking will be employed by about .1% of all SNG players, tops. Not only is the no SB a fairly arcane thing to have happen, making it likely that the player will not have thought about what to do here, but the player not only needs to know this but also believe his opponent will be one of the few other souls to consider it and then move. This won't happen in online SNGs.

It's a pretty big mistake (and is probably one of my bigger leaks) to assume too high a degree of competence from players at the table.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you're first to act on the flop, this is a pretty good situation for a stop and go. In fact, if you are going to play it, you definitely need to do a stop and go. It would be a mistake to do anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]

he acts 2nd on the flop due to lack of SB, which I actually didn't notice when I voted.