Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 05-18-2005, 05:48 PM

Default What would it take to do this?

I was watching a Turbo 60 on PS the other night and saw the following play that surprised me. I thought it was very interesting, trying to put UTG and the button on the hands they'd need to make these plays (the all-in and the call of the all-in).

Blinds are 75/150

UTG: 6300
Button: 1700
SB: 5250
BB: 250 (100 after posting)

UTG raises to 450, Button raises to 1700 (All-in), SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:43 PM

Default Re: What would it take to do this?

Since the BB is almost a guaranteed call with anything, plus blinds aren't catastrophic relative to button's stack size, and UTG and SB both have huge stacks in comparison that would probably happily call a steal attempt if they had reasonable cards, button would have to have a hand with some showdown value.

It might well be a hand that is vulnerable to the flop, though, since he didn't try to come in slow and entice people in. Something like TT, JJ or QQ or AK or AQ?

If the monster stack, UTG, is just playing every hand to try to hit something or steal by virtue of his intimidating stack size, button could have some confidence raising with less, especially if he has a tight image or hasn't done much stealing. Lower pairs or worse aces or even KQ or such, in that case? Reads could count for a lot here.

Sometimes I try to entice people in when I'm holding AA by not betting too hard, but sometimes I just plow all-in hoping they'll think it's probably a steal, so I can be sure of getting paid off even if the flop comes up not useful to the caller or a little intimidating to him. All-in being a bluff that I'm actually weak, when I'm not. Who knows, he could be doing that, too. Or just the type that loves to shove money in the pot not for deception but just to get paid off big straight out.

I am curious what he had.

As to UTG calling, he's getting 2375 for 1250 by calling; lots of people would call with any pair or with AKo here; it depends so much on the person. Some would call just for the chance to bust out someone on a steal. At 2 to 1 for your money, the money's so damn good that calling with some real crap wouldn't be all that bad. Even if he lost, he's still pretty much guaranteed ITM and is lodged solidly between 1st and 3rd. If he wins, his chip position has become very dominant and he's eliminated a threat.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:32 PM

I guess I found this more interesting than everyone else. My initial thoughts were that button would need either AA, KK, or serious cajones to make this play with a worse hand. Once button is all-in, UTG would still want a fairly decent hand (i.e., I probably would call with a hand as low as AJs, but I wouldn't be happy about it).

Actual results were that button had AA, and UTG had AQo.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
or serious cajones to make this play with a worse hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fine line between serious cajones and a big a** hole in your game.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:59 PM

I'd say JJ-AA, AK. I think I could make the play with QQ pretty easy.