Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: How much have you improved in the last 6 months? (or since you started playing)
Lots 54 68.35%
Some 16 20.25%
A Little 9 11.39%
None 0 0%
I'm getting dumber all the time 0 0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Big slick with 3 players left

me and 2 others left in tournamnet blinds are 300-600
i have 3500 chips
small blind has 4200
villain has about 2300 (a solid moderately aggressive player that i have been pushing around with all in bets when my stack drops below 1200 or so)

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button i raise to 1200
small blind folds, villain on BB goes all in for his remaining 1700. What is your line here call or fold.
Keep in mind 1st places pays 50% 2nd 30% and 3rd 20%.
I will post results after a few replys.

I apoligize for not using converter i play at Pokerstars and dont get detailed sit and go reports.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Big slick with 3 players left

I dont know if you are serious but how do you not call here?
Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM

Folding here should be illegal in 49 of the 50 states.

The only place you could get away with that is California, where everyone is crazy.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:35 PM

In a winner take all or mutual chop tournament last night, I was in a similar situation with AK suited.

UTG: 600
UTG+1: 1200
SB (Hero): 600
BB: 180

Blinds: 40/80 and not increasing again.

UTG has raised all in several times from first position and has shown down twice, once 33 and the second time AQ.

On this hand, UTG raises all in, UTG+1 folds and I look down to find AKd. What's the play?

At this point, I thought this was either going to be a coin flip or I would be way ahead. I assigned slightly more probability to the latter and went ahead and called the all-in. The BB also called off the rest of her chips.

To my dismay, UTG shows 66 and the SB shows A3. Meaning one of my outs is dead, leaving me with two aces and four kings, straight and flush possibilities only. I already don't like it, and I wind up losing the hand and going out shortly after.

I think I should've folded the hand and waited for a better opportunity. Some have argued that at the end of the tournament you simply have to win a coinflip or two in order to win. On a previous hand, I had UTG all in with one card to come and only 9 outs (flush draw) <venting>. I think it's very likely that I could've gotten this player back in a similar situation, even with the blinds chomping down on my stack.

Oh well. Would anyone have folded the AK there?

Cheers.

Monk
Old 05-18-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a winner take all or mutual chop tournament last night, I was in a similar situation with AK suited.

UTG: 600
UTG+1: 1200
SB (Hero): 600
BB: 180

UTG has raised all in several times from first position and has shown down twice, once 33 and the second time AQ.

On this hand, UTG raises all in, UTG+1 folds and I look down to find AKd. What's the play?

At this point, I thought this was either going to be a coin flip or I would be way ahead. I assigned slightly more probability to the latter and went ahead and called the all-in. The BB also called off the rest of her chips.

To my dismay, UTG shows 66 and the SB shows A3. Meaning one of my outs is dead, leaving me with two aces and four kings, straight and flush possibilities only. I already don't like it, and I wind up losing the hand and going out shortly after.

I think I should've folded the hand and waited for a better opportunity. Some have argued that at the end of the tournament you simply have to win a coinflip or two in order to win. On a previous hand, I had UTG all in with one card to come and only 9 outs (flush draw) <venting>. I think it's very likely that I could've gotten this player back in a similar situation, even with the blinds chomping down on my stack.

Oh well. Would anyone have folded the AK there?

Cheers.

Monk

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it'd be nice to know the blinds, as if the blinds were 5-10 the play would be much different (However I'm assuming they were quite high).

Assuming the blinds are high, and that it's a winner take all tournament, folding AKs here would be ridiculously bad poker.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds: 40/80 and not increasing again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-18-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
me and 2 others left in tournamnet blinds are 300-600
i have 3500 chips
small blind has 4200
villain has about 2300 (a solid moderately aggressive player that i have been pushing around with all in bets when my stack drops below 1200 or so)

I get A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the button i raise to 1200
small blind folds, villain on BB goes all in for his remaining 1700. What is your line here call or fold.
Keep in mind 1st places pays 50% 2nd 30% and 3rd 20%.
I will post results after a few replys.

I apoligize for not using converter i play at Pokerstars and dont get detailed sit and go reports.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have been moving allin to begin with. I absolutely hate min raising with AKs here
Old 05-18-2005, 05:53 PM

Well i did call, much like anyone probably would. I figured at worst he had a Pocket pair jacks or queens, at best i had him dominated with a better kicker. He had pocket aces and i lost the pot which put me down to less than 1000 chips. But then i went all in on the big blind with a 10-7 suited and the limper who was first in calls with a 6-3 offsuit and i double up and end up actually winning the tournament somehow
Old 05-18-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well i did call, much like anyone probably would. I figured at worst he had a Pocket pair jacks or queens, at best i had him dominated with a better kicker. He had pocket aces and i lost the pot which put me down to less than 1000 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be results oriented.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:13 PM

RAPTOR'S rule of sucking out: learn to do it. aces arent invincible. you have THE POWER.

as an aside, karak is dead on. dont base your thoughts on your results. im autocalling that push. cuz i think i have the best hand the VAST majority of the time. no way you can even THINK about folding.

oh, and in the poll, i clicked fold, just to be funny. holla