Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2001, 11:21 AM

Default New Forum Software

We are experimenting with new forum software on the Vince! forum. This is likely to become the software underpinning all of the forums shortly. Before that happens, I am soliciting feedback. I invite you to visit Vince! and let me know your thoughts.

Chuck
Old 08-30-2001, 01:38 PM

Default Re: New Forum Software

still cannot access messages on vince but ok on all others...gl
Old 08-30-2001, 03:33 PM

Chuck,

I visit the Vince! forum frequently . I am very unhappy with the new software. It is now a pain in the --- to post a response, (you note I am responding on Other Topics), I really don't think view counts are necessary or relevant. Is it possible that you are planning to use view counts in some kind of markerting strategy? The spell check is okay, but I think that spelling errors do not detract from the post content. The only feature I really like on the new software is the return to index, it gets you back to were you left off rather than having to scroll to were you left off.

I realize that everyone at Two Plus Two works hard to make the forums successful, but I would junk the new software in favor of what we already have.

Just my thoughts on the subject,

Mary
Old 08-30-2001, 06:02 PM

Mary,

Have you checked recently. We've added back the "post response" on the same page. Is there something else you don't like about posting a response?

Chuck
Old 08-31-2001, 01:12 PM

I posted this on Vince!, but as listed below, posted late and nobody reads down the page.

The new forum software appears to be mostly informational and not a true format change. There are better boards out there in terms of functionality.

IMHO, The threads are disjointed and it is hard to follow the deeper topics unless you have a ruler.

The topics that can go on for a while fall off the face of the earth over time. I've seen over 500 responses to some threads in other forums. They can continue because the thread moves to the top when it is responded to. That is not possible here. Some threads deserve to be around longer.

When they do fall off, they fall off in pieces by age. You get a lot of re: topics that don't make sense if you just got back from a weeks trip. There is little reason to respond to older posts because it is hard to make it to the bottom of the list sorting through cheese that you don't want to see again.

Just my thoughts. Oh, the spell checker is nice. Maybe a grammar checker would be helpful too.

Old 09-02-2001, 11:43 PM

Chuck,

Actually I like posting responses. Now that you reverted to the former method of responding I can handle it. I must confess, I'm as dumb as they come when I have to do anything on the computer. The only things I use the computer for are to play solitaire and the two plus two forums. Just when I got the hang of responding you went and changed the method. Very disconcerting. John C says you didn't do it to confuse me; there is a method to the madness.

Thanks for responding and giving me back a method I can use without hauling my teenager out of bed to show me how to get from point a to point b.

Mary
Old 09-03-2001, 07:19 AM

that's what teenagers are for...gl mary..