Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 02:27 PM

Default perpetual game played in the dark

In a ten handed perpetual game, nine people play every hand capping every street. You have the option of playing any cards you want provided that you follow the capping structure (in other words you cannot throw your hand away until the showdown).

Over the long term if you just eliminated 72o from your starting hand repertoire your results would be +EV. My question is what hands should you eliminate in order to profit optimally from this situation? Would you play only hands that were above the mean, or is everyone playing 72o giving you enough equity that you should play just about anything?

Sorry if this is obvious or had been discussed before.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:00 PM

Default Re: perpetual game played in the dark

Very interesting question. At first my guess was that eliminating any non-coordinated hand (play all suited connectors, all connectors, all suited cards, all pairs, all high cards) and eliminating maybe up to 10-rag. I have absolutely no numbers to back up my thoughts, just a gut instinct. I have to believe you'd need to eliminate a significant number of hands to find the perfect strategy. If you only eliminate 7-2offsuit, you're going to need a TON of hands to see the +EV results.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:46 PM

We need to know whether or not there is a rake. Also, are we posting SB and BB along the way?
Old 04-29-2005, 05:53 PM

Eliminate anything that doesn't have equity against 9 random hands.

This would leave all pairs, suited connectors 34 and higher, unsuited connectors T9 and higher, and I'd simulate the N gappers, suited and unsuited, to figure out the rest of em.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:59 PM

They said it. Assuming no rake/blinds, any hand that had equity against 9 random. If there's a blind or a rake you just gotta compensate a little, the hand needs to have a larger edge than the rake, and you can play slightly looser from the BB. (theoretically, there might not actually be a change)