Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 03-23-2005, 09:45 PM

Default Mutual fund for youngster

Hey i'm 20, I put 2000 bucks in an aggressive growth fund and a fundamental fund through a company called primerica. Anyway I get this feeling that maybe there is a better place for my money, even if its just another mutual fund. Where can I invest with the least fees and best returns? I want to start dollar cost averaging (putting 100-200 a month in) but I want to make sure I do it in the right place. Any advice on the best place to invest through and the best funds right now? thanks for any advice I'm young and uninformed!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Mutual fund for youngster

You might be better off with cash as Greenspan is raising interest rates.

You should check the expense ratio. If it is more than 0.5% you should be able to state why you think that fund is better than an index fund from vanguard.com.

You should also understand that when dealing with people under 30 self improvement is the best investment. That $2000 paid to an elderly spanish speaker in need of some easy cash could get the kid speaking basic spanish, if the kid is cooperative. Music lessons? How about a coach to teach the kid how to pitch?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Last year, when I was a senior in High School, some guy tried to recruit me to go work for Primerica. After listening to two of their lectures, I basically got the idea that I learned more in my school about investing than the guys who were talking about it on stage did.

I just got a negative view of the company, so I think you should at least take a second look at it.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Schwab,Fidelity, E*trade, TD Waterhouse, AmeriTrade all offer brokerage accounts for the do-it yourselfer at minimal fees and costs.

If you've got an aggressive growth mutual fund, you'll probably want to add a different mutual fund to round out your portfolio....maybe a growth & income type of fund.

...The best fund right now... WOW! that's a trick question. I'd say be careful when you choose a mutual fund based entirely on last year's performance.

Schwab has a "select list" of funds. You might want to start there.