Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Stock Market Books

I'm in my senior year of college, will finish in the fall and have been working full time this term as a co-op engineer and part-time as a poker player [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. So I'm starting to establish a sizable bank account and it will only grow after college. My question is, what books are recommended for first timers into the stock market? I basically have no knowledge of the stock market, but am very good with numbers and am sure I will pick up quickly, so I want something informative yet not too basic where I will lose interest. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Stock Market Books

There are many good books out there...try 'the intelligent investor', a brilliant work on value investing, 'Extraordinary popular delusions and the maddness of crowds' is a must for when the crowd goes mad, also, 'the Zulu Principle' and 'One up on Wall Street' are good reads. 'Tomorrows gold' by Mark Faber is a must in light of recent changes to global capitalism.

There are many more, but this should keep you busy for a few hours.

Good Luck
Bingo
Old 02-28-2005, 12:57 PM

I really enjoyed Peter Lynch's One Up On Wall Street as an introduction to investing. But you don't have to take my word for it. Read the amazon.com reviews and decide for yourself if it's what you're looking for.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:50 PM

Stocks for the Long Run.
The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need.
Investing for Dummies.
Ric Edelman has a couple out there about overall financial planning and investments.
Charles Schwab co wrote a couple books that are fairly easy reads.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:10 AM

The Index Fund Solution and Common Sense on Mutual Funds are books I've just gone though and got quite a bit from, but I'm much more interested in passivly managed funds rather than active management/trading, so these may not be exactly what you're looking for.

As mentioned above, The Intelligent Investor is THE book for value investing. The new revised (or annotated) edition adds quite a bit to the original text. A good friend who is an I-Banker with Merrill pushes it on everyone who wants investing knowledge.
I haven't yet read the Bernstein books recommended above, but everyone I know has found them worthwhile.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:27 PM

a random walk down wall street - burton malkiel
Old 03-08-2005, 03:19 AM

A prerequisite to be a successful investor is to be your own man. Very few people profit with the help of a so called stock broker who recommends buying this
stock and then selling it and buying something else. The point is; tread slowly if you want someone to make you rich. In the long run, I know very few people who ever benefited from using a stock salesman. I am not referring to good financial fee only investment advisors.

William Bernstein wrote “The Intelligent Asset Allocator” in the year 2000, and he
followed this book up in 2002 with another book; “The Four Pillars of Investing – Lessons for Building A Winning Portfolio.” Bernstein indicated that this second book contains things he might wished to have written in the first book -- The Intelligent Asset Allocator. It is probably worth you reading the second book, and retaining it as a reference. At your leisure you can borrow the first book from the library to peruse.

I take it you don’t want to be a day trader. Day trading as you know is essentially a zero-sum game minus expenses. Only a very small fraction of people who have attempted day trading are successful, and most present day day-traders are glued to the computer monitor for extremely long periods (this can cause you to get fat and have poor health).
But I recently met a 52 year old guy who said is a retired gas company employee, and now works when he wants to work with a partner as a loan agent. He told me that he has made $800,000 trading S&P500 options in the last few years. He indicated that he uses stops and spends less than an hour each morning on the computer. Of course this guy may have been exaggerating, but he came across as a nice person – he could have been a con artist. Getting back to Bernstein….

Bernstein is worth reading. He explains that risk is a necessary ingredient for reward (the more the risk the more the reward). He also explains how to allocate your investments – that is; invest in an array of indexed mutual funds such as: Large Cap, Small Cap (Value & Growth), Total Market Index, REITS, European Index, International Value Index, Emerging Market Index, Far East Index. – things like this. Bernstein explains how the overall risk is minimized when an investor has a well balanced portfolio with the assets spread over a predetermined array of index mutuals funds whose movements are essentially random with respect to each other. The premise is that in the long run, all of these indexed mutual funds are going to go up, but in the shorter run, some will go down while others are going up or are flat. Saying this in another way, the correlation coefficients of any fund in this allocated array of funds with respect to another fund in this array should be low (the lower the better) – say in the range of minus 0.5 to plus 0.5 on a scale of minus1.0 to plus 1.0.

The beauty of intelligent asset allocating, is that you are using a sound method to be rewarded, and have time to do all of the other things in life which are the important things. “whatever they are.”
Old 03-09-2005, 02:58 AM

Do youself a favor and pick up Secrets to Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Stan Weinstein. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846
Old 03-10-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do youself a favor and pick up Secrets to Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets by Stan Weinstein. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s&n=507846

[/ QUOTE ]

Garbage. Charting and technical analysis are worthless.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:08 AM

If you go to the Berkshire Hathaway website, symbol BRKA, and devour Buffett's annual shareholder letters, you will be very well rewarded. He's the second richest guy in the world for a reason. And he unbuttons some complex things in a very understandable, enjoyable way.

I second the earlier comment - avoid anything related to trading stocks based on technicals. Utter claptrap.

Another idea is to read Roger Lowenstein's book on Buffett, The Making of an American Capitalist.

Good luck. it's an awesome journey, and if you have the right temperament (that's more improtant than IQ), you will make a lot of money and have a great time doing it.

But you need to devote a lot of time to it...otherwise buy an index fund and be done with it.