Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market

Old 12-31-2004, 02:27 PM

Default tsunami invesment oppurtinities?

I have always been interested in Indian and Asian markets as a long term prospect and the economic downfall caused by the natural disaster may open a cheap oppurinity to get in. The indexes and currencies should be decent investments, no? Also, anyone know how to find out who is going to earn the main reconstruction contracts including the manufacturors of supplies, etc.

I am not even a beginner investor, but think there has to be some long term benefits and oppuritinities here. What are your expert opinions?
Old 01-01-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Re: tsunami invesment oppurtinities?

Welcome to life buddy, espeacially the business world. A holocaust movie could be accused of the same thing. Regardless, if you have this to say to me, i'd expect that you are donating all your money that isn't of a direct necessity to your survival to the vicitims, correct?

Also, how do you know what i choose to do with money i earn from investments? Perhaps it goes to this cause or another one. Personally, i believe my money needs to go to other sources, by priority, before these victims, but thats another story.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:24 PM

Congrats on winning Prick of the year, and its only 12 hours young. Good luck with your endeavors.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:31 PM

There was nothing wrong with your question. Some people need to grow up and realize that some of us can live our lives without contant boughts of self-righteous melodrama.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:05 PM

There is nothing wrong with this question. Componies that help the reconsturction are not going to do it for free, are they @$$holes also? Tons of people make money of these things. Its not like he is wishing for a disaster so he can make money, he sees the opprotunity and is going to take it.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:42 PM

Don't try to turn this around on me, I never said I wanted to capitalize off of others' misfortunes. You would essentially be robbing people who are down on their luck. Companies making huge amounts of money over there would be exploiting. By the way, I am a Republican and if you don't like this post, just kiss my Arse. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-01-2005, 10:58 PM

Go to Ogrish.com and look at pictures of the hundreds of bloated corpses lying on the beach. Kind of puts this idea of using this as a catalyst for investment in perspective don't it?
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 AM

What you say is perfectly true, sure there are companies that will make money cleaning up this disaster, yet there is a time and a place for everything. This is neither.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:14 AM

yes, there has been a disaster-- so what should one do

1.not buy a stock that you feel will prosper because they aid in reconstruction, while it doesnt influence the company at all.
2. buy the stock and make money. possibly donating some of your profits to the relief if so inclined.
3. check any mutual funds you have that may invest in companies that could profit and sell them.

i agree that to invest in a good opportunity if this is one, isnt offensive. no more than investing in companies that profit when the dollar falls. as this puts great hardship on certain entities.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:34 PM

Indonesia fund (IF) is at all time highs, perhaps anticipating billions of disaster relief bucks.

India and Thailand were really not badly hit.

Sri Lanka: From the US if you have a full service broker you might be able to invest in something called John Knells.
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=JKEHY.PK&d=t

The Tsunami is really not a big event economically. Even in Acheh Indonesia the mineral extraction businesses were not effected. The thing to remember is that the tsunami hit maybe for 1/2 mi inland, and had less effect on protected harbours. The basic fact is that subsistance fishing and even resort operations are not important businesses.

You might be able to go to those places an buy a property there, but that will take businesss skills in addition to money.