Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2004, 11:48 PM

Default Help with choosing a career path...

Hey, i'm dropping out of my philosophy degree to start the Canadian Securities course. I'm going to simultaneously do the derivatives course and then go on to take the national financial planning course. I basically want to know if this is the right path to go, and what else do you think i can add to my resume that will be applicable to wealth management and finance? Do you know of any good options trading courses or market analysis courses? After acquiring these certifications and gaining a little work experience, i would like to do the CFA course.

My goal is to become an expert on stocks, currencies, and wealth management. Do you think these are worthy decisions? I really need some expert advice here...
Old 12-20-2004, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Help with choosing a career path...

The best way to get a job in trading today is to get a degree in something highly mathematical. Finance/Econ programs which are heavily analytical work well. A math degree isn't bad. Hard science and engineering majors work too if you work in some applicable electives. Programming skills are a big plus as well.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 AM

Excellent decision
Old 12-27-2004, 11:26 AM

Check out the forums on Vault.com There's lots of discussion and advice from current practicing professionals at various levels in the investment management industry there.
Old 12-27-2004, 04:41 PM

"My goal is to become an expert on stocks, currencies, and wealth management. Do you think these are worthy decisions? I really need some expert advice here... "

Although I do not claim to be an expert it is true that to answer your question, are these worthy decisions, you must ask yourself why you want to become an expert on stocks, currencies and wealth managment. This is ultimately a question of what you want to do with your life. A question that you hopefully discussed/thought about in your philosophy classes.

I find myself in a similar situation. I recently got my philosophy degree. For the most part I educate myself outside of the classroom on financial matters.

Anyways, I guess my "answer" to your question is, what do you think is the proper way for you to live? What role should money have in your life?

For myself, I agree with Aristotle that wealth is a necessary but not sufficient condition for the good life. I also try to keep in mind that money is not evil at all, however an improper relationship with money (either hating it or thinking that NOTHING else matters) will result in a bad life.

cielo