Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 04:58 AM

Default LCD or CRT?

I'm looking to upgrade to a bigger monitor. Most of the monitor discussions I've seen here lately involve LCD's. But I notice some deals on eBay for 21" Sony Trinitron CRT's (reconditioned w/warranty) that have a "semi-flat" screen for around $200 (including shipping). The average price for a new 19" LCD seems to be around $400 to $475. The LCD's are much more convenient and easier to handle (the 19" CRT weighs 60+ lbs.), but the CRT I'm considering has the extra 2" of screen area. Overall the LCD well worth the money, but the next time I upgrade to a new PC (probably in about a year), the deal will probably include a big LCD monitor anyway.

Any suggestions? Would you guys go with the reconditioned 21" CRT for $200 or the 19" new LCD for around $400-$475? I was originally planning on buying the CRT, but the flat-screen LCD looks better and better. Any recommendations on a specific LCD, brand and/or price?
Old 11-29-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Re: LCD or CRT?

I would go with the CRT unless you have a big need for a thin LCD flat screen.. You get more screen size for less money, and the resolution and picture should be just as good (if not better) as any LCD you can buy, so long as you go with a quality CRT.

Flat screens are neat, but unless you really need the space you would save with one, the CRTs are the far better deal.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:39 AM

They are a better deal... but you'll never say to yourself "I wish I would have bought the CRT..." Do it once, do it right, get the 20" Dell 2001fp if you can.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:41 AM

Default Ever heard of a \"MAG\"?

[ QUOTE ]
I would go with the CRT unless you have a big need for a thin LCD flat screen.. You get more screen size for less money, and the resolution and picture should be just as good (if not better) as any LCD you can buy, so long as you go with a quality CRT.

Flat screens are neat, but unless you really need the space you would save with one, the CRTs are the far better deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the reply. Are you familiar with a brand named "MAG"? They are the least expensive ones at Best Buy, but I've never heard of that brand.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:44 AM

I'm a gamer who loves my big screens. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the past it used to be true that LCDs produced "streaking" during games..especially FPS games. I hear that is no longer the case with the models that have been released the last year and a half (or so).

I still think the CRTs are the better deal right now. I have a 23 inch Viewsonic Professional flat screen (PerfectFlat) CRT. I wouldn't trade it for ANY 20 inch LCD.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:50 AM

I hear ya. For me at least, gaming had to take a backseat to poker. I sold my 21" Sony CRT when I got the LCDs
Old 11-29-2004, 05:55 AM

Default Re: Ever heard of a \"MAG\"?

They are okay from what I have read and seen. It's definitely a budget brand. Without a specific model number, I can't really advise you any further. If I had some model numbers, I could look up the specs and see how it measured up on the tech level. I'm willing to guess they are middle of the road monitors.

I think Viewsonic and Sony make the best monitors. Viewsonic monitors went retail sometime last year, I think. In the past, you had to order them directly or online.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:55 AM

Default How about this 19\" Samsung?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....p;type=product
Old 11-29-2004, 08:22 AM

You will be highly dissapointed if you buy a 19 inch lcd when you decide to try and play more than 2 tables of online poker. To play 4 tables and see all 4 tables with no overlapping you need 1600x1200 resolution. No LCD under 20" has that resolution, thats my guess on why there is such a drastic price difference between a 19 inch lcd monitor and a 20 inch lcd. I agree with BusterStacks, the 2001fp is the [censored], I have 2 of them and got them shipped tax and all for a total of $735 a piece. A week later they went down to $619 and now theyre at $799 plus ship and tax. Its all about timing on when to buy them, the price flucuates weekly.http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...tegory_id=4009. They also sell refurbished ones for $598 when theyre in stock.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:31 AM

If you've been following the boards you'd see that the 2001 fp has dropped significantly in price.

I bought mine a few weeks ago for $654 shipped, and feel almost ripped off. I think people have been getting them in the $500s lately.

I don't actually feel ripped off because the monitor is fing badass. But you should be able to get one for less than what I paid.