Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2004, 06:06 AM

Default Computer Hand

Hey there.
I was playing a friendly home game and a guy showed down Q7o, calling it the 'computer hand'. That's a term I've heard before, but this guy went on to say that it's called that because computer simulations vs 10 opponents show it to be the winningest starting hand,

I tried briefly to convince him that AA was shown to be the best, and that Q7 is nowhere near the top. He told me that he had heard it from someone who 'knows everything about everything about poker'. I just shut up beause I didn't want to reveal to the whole game how much I've read and know about poker myself.

Anyways my question is why it's called the computer hand.
My brief research has shown mostly that it is generally considered to be the 'median hand' - that which is both better and worse than 50% of starting hands. However some sites say that Q7 was indeed way overvalued in headsup sims and even very close to the top in the early, poorly contructed simulations. (Maybe also 'won 50% of the time vs. a random headsup hand')

Anyone have any evidence for any of these hypotheses?
Old 11-26-2004, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Computer Hand

it's the computer hand because computer simulations showed it to be the exact median hand as you suggested. thus in a heads up match if you get it, it's 50/50 whether or not your opponent has a better hand. it's a good gauge to see where you're at. for example if you have Q9 you know that's slightly better than the average hand whereas something like J6 you know you got a below average hand.